GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm in the market for a previous generation Silverado short bed, no extended cab.

Its mainly going to be a work truck and something I can take my dogs to the beach with. As far as mods go I'm only going to go as far as an intake and exhaust for better MPG.

That being said can you guys post what engine you have and what kind of MPG your getting.

I'm leaning towards the 4.3 since I'm sure it gets the best MPG but for comparisons sake I'm wondering what 4.3,4.8 and 5.3 guys are getting.

Thanks for your input :great:

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It's just my opinion, and I don't have the specs, but the 4.3L is too under powered for a full sized truck.

I used to have an '87 c10 w/a 4.3 and it was too weak an engine to be effective. The hp output hasn't changed much since '87. It's still under 200hp even today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first car was a 89 Blazer with a 4.3

It was the carbuerated model and I beleive it had 160 horsepower and 250 Torque.

Arent the modern 4.3's 200/260?

I got about 20 MPG freeway on my blazer I think it weighed 3200 pounds.

Whats a fullsize Silverado short bed weigh? 4000 maybe?

I would love to own a 8.1 or a Duramax but I cant afford one, the price and the gas :frown:

Always wanted a Silverado though. I just like the look a lot more then an S10.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey folks, I'm in the market for a previous generation Silverado short bed, no extended cab.

Its mainly going to be a work truck and something I can take my dogs to the beach with. As far as mods go I'm only going to go as far as an intake and exhaust for better MPG.

That being said can you guys post what engine you have and what kind of MPG your getting.

I'm leaning towards the 4.3 since I'm sure it gets the best MPG but for comparisons sake I'm wondering what 4.3,4.8 and 5.3 guys are getting.

Thanks for your input :great:
As long as your not hauling huge weight or trailering to much, A 4.3 V6 is a great option for MPG issues. I've had a few and there a very strong motor. In around the mid 90's there was some intake gasket issues but new generation seems to be good. My 4.3 just blew up in my 99 Savanna Work van(but I think dealership messed up,long story) My van weighted in at a whopping 3780 kg or 8333 pounds! At that weight was nothing still for me to hold 85/90 mph on Hwy. So don't let the V6 thing scare you.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 07 classic 4.3 reg. cab, long 8' box and you know what the 4.3 is one of the greatest hard working engines, but this truck imo is way to heavy for it. the 4.8 would probably be better or even better would probably be the 5.3 with active fuel management 4/8 culyinders. as far as hp. the 4.3 has 195hp. For the MPG i drive about 150kms highway kms 5/7 days a week. and for those 5 days all i need is one tank, one tank is around 115-120 bucks depending on the price 120 bucks is when its at like a buck five (today its at a buck seven) oh and mind you this is all Kms and CDN dollars lol

·
Registered
233 Posts
P.s. i still dont understand why GM wouldnt put the 4.2 I6 with 290hp in it and its would be better a bit on gas but ive also heard better things about the 4300 and not so good about the inline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts