GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into a 2014-18 silverado and am pricing out some upgrades I will want to do to the truck soon after getting it. What I want is a crew cab standard bed or short bed 4wd 5.3l. Here are a couple questions. Just answer what you can or if you have other recommendations. Thanks!

1. MBRP Black Series catback exhaust. I like this because it is black and I have heard good things about MBRP. Right now I have a flowmaster super 44 dual exit muffler on my 06 5.3. I dont like the drone on the highway. How do the MBRP systems do with drone? Do they sound good. Not really looking for huge performance gains, just sound. Any other exhaust suggestions? I’m wanting louder than stock, but not too loud like my current setup. I only want to really hear it when I get on the gas, startup, acceleration, and a better idling sound.

2. AFM disabler. I haven’t read much about this. Is it worth it? How does MPG react?

3. Motofab 2.5” front leveling kit. I want to probably do the leveling kit and the upgraded motofab control arms at the same time. Is the round spacer that goes on top of the strut better than the U shaped block one that goes on the bottom? They are both 2.5”. Not sure if one is better.

4. Motofab 2” rear lift blocks. I am doing 2.5” in the front and 2” in the back to maintain some of the factory rake since I tow regularly.

5. Motofab rear shock extensions. I know that its probably better to replace the shocks, but these seem like they will work until the shocks need replaced. Thoughts?

6. Tow mirrors. I know there is a thread on one of these forums that details tow mirrors on a 1500 and how to wire, etc. I am just looking for brand recommendations. I want the factory look ones, but want to stay in the $200 range. Any recommendations for an amazon/ebay one that you have had good luck with?

Thanks for reading and thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Exhaust: I think the MBRP Black series looks great. That said if you are concerned about drone my personal bias for a Borla exhaust system. A little more money and you can only get black tips, but the sound is amazing.

AFM: If you are upgrading the exhaust, an AFM disabler is a good choice. MPG will more that likely go down as you will always have V8 under foot. I am planning on getting one for my truck but from what I have read there may be some oil pump/oil volume issues after disabling the AFM.

Best of luck with your search!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust: I think the MBRP Black series looks great. That said if you are concerned about drone my personal bias for a Borla exhaust system. A little more money and you can only get black tips, but the sound is amazing.

AFM: If you are upgrading the exhaust, an AFM disabler is a good choice. MPG will more that likely go down as you will always have V8 under foot. I am planning on getting one for my truck but from what I have read there may be some oil pump/oil volume issues after disabling the AFM.

Best of luck with your search!
Thanks! Which borla do you have. I think i want a single side exit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wouldn't spend too much time worrying about milage/AFM, at the end of the day its a full size pickup with a V8 and gas mileage is always going to suck 😂

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't spend too much time worrying about milage/AFM, at the end of the day its a full size pickup with a V8 and gas mileage is always going to suck 😂
Good point! Not really looking to get great gas mileage, after driving the truck for about a week now I think I will just leave the AFM on.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the 2.5” lower strut spacer lift in the front by MotoFab, and the 2” rear lift blocks in the back by motofab. For the rear shocks I used the motofab shock extensions for now. Will replace with longer travel shocks when these shocks are bad. I like this setup because it maintains some of the factory rake for when I tow. Not noticing any difference in ride quality. I also added my gloss black pro comp xtreme wheels with Nitto Ridge Grappler LT285/70r17 tires from my old truck. Also decided to try some LED headlights from amazon. So far so good for $25. We’ll see how they hold up over time. They are much brighter than the stock halogens and don’t seem to be blinding oncoming traffic. They are just a 2 sided LED
New truck is looking great!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
If your concerned about mileage and longevity of the afm engine... (I'm sure you've read about all the afm problems, that is why the range module exsists, so the flawed system dosent operate.) People have reported way better mileage by having their trucks properly tuned on a dyno. Afm can be tuned out instead of using the module however all the parts are there still, these engines can be rebuilt without any afm crap.

My cousin has a 2019 Silverado and he dosent get much better mileage than I get in my 1997 Burb with 330 000 miles on it's all original engine. I get close to 18 MPG. However this wasnt always the case, after a complete tune up with acdelco parts, a rebuilt stage 3 HD tranny that came with a dyno tune! and then eventually i replaced the entire fuel system.... a lot of factors come into play with mileage. I have a 373 gear ratio which is perfect for my needs but you may have a higher or a lower ratio. This one factor is a huge contributor to good fuel mileage.

Congrats on your new truck!

Al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts