GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else had a noise that occurs around 70 mph from wind on the passenger side of the windshield?

04 silverado

wondering if anyone knows how to fix it

·
Registered
307 Posts
i get a little on the driver side, not sure if its normal for a little, my other vehicles have done it too so it doesnt really bother me anymore, iv noticed that i get it more when i have a tail wind too so im thinking its the mirror

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do you have a bug deflector? My truck had no issues until I put it on, at which time the "popping" on the windshield began. I have been told that two-sided taped under the top trim on the windshield should take care of it. (Buddy's stepdad is a windshield installer, he suggested the tape)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the samy annoyance. I do have a bugshield and my windshield was just replaced due to a large piece of debris. It only does it above 70 mph.

·
Registered
146 Posts
it goes between the windshield and the upper trim piece that runs along the top of the windshield. The noise is air getting under there. The bugshield changes the airflow over the truck, causing the air to get under there. As far as I am told anyways...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I worked for a Chevy dealer when the 99 silverado and 00 sub/tahoes came out. The windshield trim on the left and right sides of the glass gets air under it with certain speeds and/or crosswind and makes a popping or fluttering noise. If this is what you are hearing if you lift up on the trim on each side and put a bead of black rtv between the trim and glass and let it sit a couple hours the trim will stay adhered to the glass and noise will be gone. Good luck, it worked on my 00 Suburban.

Jon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you guys talking about the trim on the interior left and right side, or the exterior weather striping on the right and left side? I have an early 2000 silverado with a bug deflector shield and my windshield makes the rattling noies at freeway speed. It almost sounds like its raining hard, or even hailing

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I guess there are some things that make being over 60 not so bad. I cant' hear all the wind noises and rattles that some people do!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was told that it was the exterior trim around the top of the windshield

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If this is what you are hearing if you lift up on the trim on each side and put a bead of black rtv between the trim and glass and let it sit a couple hours the trim will stay adhered to the glass and noise will be gone.

Jon
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is "rtv"?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am getting the exact same noise. Sounds like a "hard" rain and it only occurs at speeds near or over 70mph. I too have a bug deflector. I will try the suggestion of RTV or double side tape. You guys rock!!:great:

·
Registered
671 Posts
You know when your radio is loud enough you really don't get to hear all those sounds at highway speeds or faster.

Actually I had something like that with my 89 silverado too and it wound up being the weather stripping seal on the passenger side door. once that was replaced the issue was resolved. my 99 tahoe doesn't need it though it's all good still , no noise at all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had it on my 99 Sierra. Always thought is was the passenger side wiper end flapping but could never "catch it doing it". Then I heard it on the new truck. Both have bug shields. It makes sense. I'll try the tape or silicone trick on the side molding. The 08 doesn't have top molding so it must be the side.
Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the noise real bad at anything above 60 and it was getting real annoying, so I put a nice thick bead of clear silicon underneath all of the black rubber trim around the windshield and noise is now gone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have a big deflector, that makes a funny noise too. i have one, we put one on my dads truck, and now it makes the same noise. there's a bunch of information on this, because it re directs air flow

1 - 20 of 20 Posts