GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why is the Eaton G80 locking differential a winner? Because it beats the competition. See the demo videos.

[video=youtube;p8nAbg5suFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8nAbg5suFw[/video]

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
very nice :great: cant compete with a locker
Chevy engine

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
I really liked my G80, until it blew up.

Reactions: jasons99hoe

·
Registered
994 Posts
Reactions: Tachyon

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Some good info' there.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Okay my question is how do we know if our vehicles are equiped with this?

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
what did you do to make it blow up?
Trying to pull my Explorer out of a snow bank. The situation was such that only one rear wheel really had any traction. In 4L, with all the torque going through one wheel just over did it, I guess.
My son has a 96 silverado and it has a posi would it be a G80?
Yes.
Okay my question is how do we know if our vehicles are equiped with this?
Look on your RPO code list (usually in the glove box) and look for the code G80. This assumes that you still have the factory axle. If it's possible that someone has swapped axles after it left the factory, then you'll have to open the diff to know for sure.

Reactions: Tachyon

·
Registered
632 Posts
ok i saw G80 among all the other codes in the glove. so i take it i have it on my truck.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
very nice video!
that G80 has saved my but many times :glasses:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here is a video comparing against the Tundra [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk&feature=related[/media]

Reactions: azrwilkinson

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Gotta love the G80 videos!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
How the G80 Locking differential works

Here is a great video on how the G80 works
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMZ9vcYVSg"]YouTube - How a Eaton G80 locker works[/ame]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just curious. I am getting ready to throw on a rear cover thats stronger LPW from Jegs, adds volume and a fill and drain too. I was wondering if I can use full Syn fluid or if I need to put in any additives. I am guessing I am fine with full syn since is a locker and not a possi unit, I know possi units normally need a limited slip additive.... Any recomendations on fluids for the rear diff?

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Would this really help on a 2WD 1500 Silverado with the V6?
Anytime you can force an additional wheel to spin, you will improve your traction. With an open diff, your 2wd only needs one wheel to lose traction to be stuck. With a locker, both rear wheels have to lose traction before you're stuck.

Reactions: azrwilkinson

·
Registered
22 Posts
Diff Locks Build Code

Would anyone know the build code for CENTRE diff lock? (Chevy Suburban 2004)

Of course rear diff lock is G80, but can't seem to find the build code for centre diff lock? And is there normally a selector to engage these diff locks or do they engage automatically depending on wheel torque - both rear and centre diff?

Much appreciated :sign0196:

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Would anyone know the build code for CENTRE diff lock? (Chevy Suburban 2004)

Of course rear diff lock is G80, but can't seem to find the build code for centre diff lock? And is there normally a selector to engage these diff locks or do they engage automatically depending on wheel torque - both rear and centre diff?

Much appreciated :sign0196:
According to my RPO code list, transfer case codes are NP0 through NP4 and NP8. The NP246 t-case in my '98 is designated by the NP8 code. My 246 uses 4 buttons to control the "lockup" in the center diff (2H=off, 4A=computer controlled, 4H=locked, 4L=locked in low range). If you don't have any buttons or levers, then your center diff is purely automatic. The transfer case control module monitors front and rear driveshaft speeds, while sending power to the rear. When it detects the rear spinning faster than the front, it engages a clutch that sends a portion of the power to the front. Once the driveshaft speeds match, it backs off on the lockup until it detects slipping again. It technically can "fully lockup", but, because it is constantly trying to back off, it never "locks up" for long.

Chevy Truck Parts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks mate

Mr Shorty,
Cool
thnxs:great:

Now, has anyone fitted ARB Air lock diffs front & back to their burb? How did they go?

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
Mr Shorty,
Cool
thnxs:great:

Now, has anyone fitted ARB Air lock diffs front & back to their burb? How did they go?
I've got an ARB in my 10 bolt rear,and it has worked just fine. I can't put a locker in the front because nobody makes a locker for the 8.25 IFS front.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts