GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Silverado 5 speed V8
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to search, learned some things.
But I'm guessing I need to be more specific.
I have an 04 Silverado standard cab, short bed. 4.8 V8, 5 speed std, 3:76 rear end.
I believe the truck has been lowered some, it sits level and a bit lower than a stock Silverado of the same year.
I have no idea how they did that, longer shackles, dropped spindles, ???
Here's the deal. I don't flog this truck, even though it is more fun to drive than anything I have owned in awhile.
But whenever it rains and I break traction in a greasy street I get severe wheel hop.
Kinda frustrating in an intersection with people waiting for you to get out of the way and you are trying to get this bucking short bed under control!
I'm wondering if a good old fashioned set of generic slapper bars would solve the problem?
I'm not drag racing, and drive like the 74 year old man I am. I just remember in the 60's we all had slapper bars on our cars to control spring wind up. Is there any reason why they wouldn't work for me?
Amazon has a set of off brand bars in the $75 range that bolt to the springs themselves with U bolts just like the old days.
Anyone out there have any comments? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
It may help, maybe. Is your rear end a limited slip? That could very well be another issue. The new traction bars, are caltrax. It's a better design that slapper bars, but they are pricey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts