GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 silerado 5.3 B Z71 4wd
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my last post,pcv excessive smoke about ten months ago was fixed completely. Thank you again j cat. Now. I recently developed a small leak from rear of engine but could not tell where it was coming from. I put a quart of Lucas stop leak but it did not do anything, then I put bars oil and seal stop leak.This seemed to slow it for a few days. I then did a fresh oil change and added blue devil oil stop leak. Ran truck for 2 hours occasionally revving engine slightly. Now it smokes worse then it ever did on start up. does not matter to much how long between them be it ten minutes or all night. Go throgh a quaert in about 300 miles. Still no blow by

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Blow by and oil consumption are not necessarily related.
Blow by is when a cylinder won't compress the charge because of worn, or broken, compression rings.
Oil consumption is/can be from worn, or broken, oil rings.

To lose that amount of oil, you have a leak, or you are burning it, from your description, you have both.

Pull the plugs, one at a time, and inspect for oil, they will be wet. Tell us which ones are wet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will, however as I said it was not smoking at all untill I put in the blue devil then started almost immediately and only on start up. small leak has stopped. when i pull plugs I will do a compression check also

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will, however as I said it was not smoking at all untill I put in the blue devil then started almost immediately and only on start up. small leak has stopped. when i pull plugs I will do a compression check also
major smoke on start up then stops after a few moments

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
Sorry, missed that in your post.
As Peter said, startup smoke is usuall from oil leaking into the cylinders after the engine has been turned.

It is a blue/black colour coming from the tailpipe?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is more of a bluish white. never had to put coolant in and level has not changed. the thing that confuses me is the blue devel is supposed to fix seals and leaks not make them worse there was no smoke before

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quite frankly, I have little faith in any of those "snake oil" remedies. I prefer to fix things right the 1st time but, I don't have a problem with a temporary band-aid until I can get-r-done.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
so you have a rear main seal leak .. the most common issue is the PCV is not sucking the crank case vapors .. then the engine crankcase has pressure then the leaks , and causes the oil smoke out the exhaust . check the PCV system for any blockages/hose cracks... change the oil when hot and add 5 oz of the mmo again so that the sludge will drain out ..
possible a small coolant leak in the oil .. then the sludge builds up creating this issue...

engine running remove the oil fill cap .put a piece of paper over the oil port fill hole ... if it is blowing out the fill hole then it is the PCV system ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do a google search: 2006 5.3 gm using oil, seems the driver's side VC is the culprit. That and changing oil & filter at 3k intervals using a higher detergent oil recommendations found in your search. Have a great day!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. This is what I've done so far. As I said I tried 3 different stop leaks the third was blue devil started smoking almost immediately. Leak stopped. Still sucking in at oil fill hole. Putting mmo in oil again, does not seem to be working.Last time I took off valve cover and cleaned pcv system I will do this again. Was wondering if stop leaks plugged something up. Have emission codes and gas smell, but have not checked codes as of last clearing. Still going to do compression test and smoke test. One code was misfire on multiple cylinders but since put stop leak truck is running great with improved gas mileage no loss of power, except I go through a quart every 250 miles or so. Should I try another seal leak stopper or am I compounding my problem?

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
As @cadillacsforever suggested, there is a problem with the drivers side valve cover, you can clean the PVC if you wish; however there is a new valve cover that has moved the PVC within the valve cover

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My pcv is the valve cover there are plates and ports incorporated to it. Last time I cleaned system with carb cleaner, there is really not much to it. Not quite sure how it works

·
Registered
13,346 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
plug #1 very fouled wet with oil, ceramic on electrode broken. #3 wet fouled. #4 wet. the rest pretty carbonated. all gaps very wide. compression #1- 235, #2 -200, #3- 215, #4- 215, #5- 215, #6 -210, #7- 200, #8- 210. can't find what it should be only minimum of 100. put new plugs and wires. still have read codes and clean pcv

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
measure the plug wire resistance . use iridium plugs . compression should be above 100-130 range. probably gauge off ..

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
plug #1 very fouled wet with oil, ceramic on electrode broken. #3 wet fouled. #4 wet. the rest pretty carbonated. all gaps very wide. compression #1- 235, #2 -200, #3- 215, #4- 215, #5- 215, #6 -210, #7- 200, #8- 210. can't find what it should be only minimum of 100. put new plugs and wires. still have read codes and clean pcv
Oil in most of the cylinders will help seal the rings and will help to raise the numbers.
Normal compression (dry) is around 170.

How did you do the compression, did you disable the injectors and the spark?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts