GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 LT Suburban with a water problem that I can't figure out. The floor/rug in the back seat on the passenger side and up somewhat under the front passenger seat always gets wet when the AC is on. When it is dry it usually takes a couple of days of running the car with the AC on before the rug is completely soaked again. The dealer doesn't know because they tell me there is nothing AC related running on the floor and when I pull the rug up I don't see anything.
I'm delaying on doing the weekend job of pulling the seats and rug up hoping that someone else has had or knows of this problem. The car stinks of wet carpet, and probably mold by now, and I need the AC because it is hot! So I am stuck. Any ideas on what could be causing my water problem?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
This can be a problem, did you search the forum for others that have had this issue? I seem to recall it being asked before.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
it almost sounds like an AC drain hose issue, but the hose is up at the firewall. If you have rear AC, I would think there's one by the rear AC condenser, but I don't know. However, it sounds like both hoses are not close enough to be causing the issue. The front AC drain hose runs down the firewall at the front passenger's feet. If it were leaking, and leaking that much, the front passenger floor would be soaked as well. Not to mention that's a LOT of water to be soaking the carpet like that. I'm clueless...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This can be a problem, did you search the forum for others that have had this issue? I seem to recall it being asked before.
The search did not show anything similar to mine. I originally thought it was a drain hose but with no wetness on the front passenger side I ruled that out. The wetness is up under the front passenger seat and around the center console and back near the third seat but I can't tell if it is moving up or down the car:grrrrrr:

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
The rear A/C drain hose is at the back right corner. If this was the problem he'd see water around the third row seat and back cargo area.
Could water from the front A/C drain be getting into the body channel under the doors and seeping out at the center door post?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear A/C drain hose is at the back right corner. If this was the problem he'd see water around the third row seat and back cargo area.
Could water from the front A/C drain be getting into the body channel under the doors and seeping out at the center door post?
Interesting. Come to think of it I always see water on the driveway from the front AC but I haven't seen anything from the back, and I should right? The rug/floor in the back, in front of the third seat, on the right side is wet as well. Maybe the water is coming from the rear and moving forward. Do you know exactly were the drain hose is? We might be on something here:happy:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
On my 99, it is right behind the right rear tire underneath the truck where all of the ac lines go into the truck.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Interesting. Come to think of it I always see water on the driveway from the front AC but I haven't seen anything from the back, and I should right? The rug/floor in the back, in front of the third seat, on the right side is wet as well. Maybe the water is coming from the rear and moving forward. Do you know exactly were the drain hose is? We might be on something here:happy:
As posted its located behind the rear wheel well. Yea you should see water spots.
I was thinking along the lines of water going from front to back but it could certainly go the other way. If the leak is up a little higher it could be running along the inside of the wheel well and into the carpet. Once it wicks into the carpet it'll spread out any direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assuming I should be able to get at it from inside the car but I'm not sure. At least for now, as a test, I could just not turn off the back AC and see if the rug dries up. For some reason this really sound promising. I will take a look this weekend and post my findings.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I recall someone posting the same thing about there colorado/canyon. I have a problem with water too. but its not the AC. whenever i go water bogging, or through a car wash, i always get about a quarter cup of water on my passenger side floor (vinyl). 07 Silverado classic reg cab

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I assuming I should be able to get at it from inside the car but I'm not sure. At least for now, as a test, I could just not turn off the back AC and see if the rug dries up. For some reason this really sound promising. I will take a look this weekend and post my findings.
You should be able to see a small rubber "hose" sticking out from the bottom on the outside. You might stick a screwdriver or something up there to see if it is clogged. Don't force it 'cause I don't know what else is there.:neutral:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should be able to see a small rubber "hose" sticking out from the bottom on the outside. You might stick a screwdriver or something up there to see if it is clogged. Don't force it 'cause I don't know what else is there.:neutral:
Your were RIGHT ON!:great: I reached up and grap the hose and mud came out so I got a screwdriver and stuck it up there and BAM! Water ran out of there for a good 15 minutes. I could not believe how much water was in there. The water must have been building up inside the wheel well and spilling into the third and second row floor. When I think about how much water was in there I hope I don't have rust build up because I'm sure I'm going to get mold in the rug if I don't already have it now.

I went back later last night and checked again and it seemed that the hose is pinched because when I opened it some more water would drip out so I cut the hose to open it up more. After I did, I thought that it was probably pinched to keep dirt out because now I have a hole in which dirt can get stuck. I can easily fix that. The bottom line is that I feel my problem has been fixed. Thanks for everybody's input. It helped alot.:sign0020:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts