GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it is time to rotate the tires on my truck.

I put the truck on the stands and break out the impact gun to take the lugs off. First wheel I go to, there is a lug missing.

Now before anyone starts talking about a loose lug I should tell you that when I work on the wheels of my vehicles, I make sure to torque the lugs to the proper specification, in this case 140 ft.lbs. I also go through the pattern twice to make sure I did not miss any. So I know for a fact that lug was secure.

In all probability it happened at work as the truck sits in a parking structure for anywhere from 8-10 hours unattended. Between 9am and 2pm there is hardly anyone in the structure so a person could walk up, loosen and take the lug in less than 30 seconds. Judging by the lack of any corrosion and the fact that I did not notice it missing until today, it must have happened quite recently.

Now I am off to the breakers to see if I can get a replacement, otherwise will have to order a new one (argh).

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

Reactions: Goldie and RayVoy

·
Registered
697 Posts
Believe it or not this has happened to me also. I had a '78 Ford LTD II at the time. It was parked in a multi story garage near college campus while I was playing a 3 on 3 tournament. Came out and noticed something shiny missing from passenger front wheel, no damage to wheel stud all other lug nuts were fine, and it was definitely on the car when I parked it. I can only assume somebody needed a lug nut real bad and mine fit the bill.
Ever since then (15+ years now) I always give my vehicles a quick walk around when parking and before I hop in to drive

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has to be some cheap bastard that would rather steel a lug nut than buy one.

The breakers could not help so I had to order one. I managed to find one on Amazon. Makes one wish we were still using hub caps. They were not a guarantee against theft but is would slow down a would-be thief.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My last car had those cheap acorn style, the chrome cap over the nut that swells and makes it almost impossible to complete a roadside change. I bought a complete set of lug nuts for that car that used a key on all the lugs, just to make stealing one or all and the tires even harder.

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
Back in the early eighties I parked my 70 GTO at the Fleet landing "secured" long term storage yard aboard Naval Air station Alameda while we did a 5 week deployment work-up aboard the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk around the Hawaian Islands training theater.
We came back late in the afternoon and it was dark by time I got to my car. The battery was dead and even with a jump she wouldn't start due to corrosion on the starter terminals, which I found out the next morning when I came back to troubleshoot. I also discovered some piece of trash had stolen every one of my lugs from all 4 wheels. The only time I was ever thankful I had a dead battery and corrosion on the starter terminals, I never noticed the missing lugs in the dark the previous night.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I’ve had too many things stolen to write about here. The worst car part theft was the black bra (remember those) on my truck. Disappeared while the truck sat in the parking lot of my apartment building. Just as chicken s#/% as a lug nut.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My favorite theft was when I came out front to see a guy taking my bicycle out of the garage and taking off. I jumped in my truck, chased him down, ran him off the road, made him fall hard on the pavement, saw the fear in his eye and chased after him down the street screaming about what I was going to do when I catch him.

Unfortunately, he was younger and faster than I had ever been. But I got my bike, and I got my satisfaction. :mad:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a complete set of lug nuts for that car that used a key on all the lugs, just to make stealing one or all and the tires even harder.
I this happens again, I may have to invest in locking lugs.

The craziest theft I heard of was in a commuter lot.

The owner of a truck (not me), got off the bus jumped in his truck, fired it up, put it in gear but the truck would not move. He tried putting it in low but still no joy. When he went to put it back in park, the shift appeard to be sticking and there was a clunking noise.

He just just it down and called a tow truck. As the tow operator was lifing the truck, he noticed something seriouly amiss. He called the owner over and showed him.

Someone had stolen the drive shaft.

Reactions: JackE and thegawd

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My dad always says 'If it isn't bolted down, it isn't safe!' I guess it's getting to the point if it isn't welded on, it isn't safe......

Reactions: Beachbourbon

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
My dad always says 'If it isn't bolted down, it isn't safe!' I guess it's getting to the point if it isn't welded on, it isn't safe......
Even welded on is not safe, where I work a gal had her stereo stolen 3 times from her car. so she had the installer weld it in this time. the thief's took a battery powered saw and cut a big hole in the dash. So even welded down is no longer safe.

One time in my back yard working on the truck I had the radiator out, went in the house to get a tool and the radiator was gone by the time I got back. I have also had the tailgate stolen while I had it off to replace the rusted hinges and went in the house for tools.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
You can get a cordless angle grinder, haha

·
Registered
765 Posts
One of my ford buddies had his tailgate stolen off his truck in his back yard.

Does the lot have security cameras?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe its time to get a Trunk Monkey...

Or perhaps this is an option...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Those Ford platinum tailgates go for a few thousand, theft is a big issue

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those Ford platinum tailgates go for a few thousand, theft is a big issue
This is one of the reasons I keep my tailgate locked. The other is to reduce the likelihood of my bed partition being stolen. Granted they could just cut the tonneau cover and take it, but that would look awful suspicious.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do not drive a Ford, but these days with cameras in the tailgate, anyone can be a victim.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think @Paladin idea about locking the tailgate is a good idea. Going forward I'll keep the tailgate locked. Doesn't stop anybody from lifting whats in the bed, truck doesn't have a topper or cover, but can stop/slow down someone from just grabbing the tailgate and waking off with it.

I usually do lap around the vehicle after work or whenever as I walk up to the vehicle.And check it out. This has the added bonus to remind me how cool this Chevy Truck is, along with the practical aspect of vehicle safety check.

·
Super Moderator
740 Posts
My tailgate was off the truck while I was working on it. So it was a real easy grab and go. I was only gone for 5 minutes to get a tool from the basement. I have a topper that is always locked so that kind of secures the tailgate and what I store in the bed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts