GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, I have a new day a new question.

Starting yesterday I noticed a loud sound from under the vehicle while driving, It osunds like (for lack of a better description) rocks inside the bottle. I had a shop look at the vehicle and he says he thinks it could be the flywheel or torque convertor, but everything he could see with the cover removed looked good. The vehicle still shifts good and is not lacking any power. The sound seems constant at lower speeds and decreased with speed (unless I just cant hear it over the wind noise) at idle in all gears including park and neutral the sound is not constant but happens about every 5 seconds as a single clunk/click. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2000 Yukon Denali 5.7

·
Registered
221 Posts
The best advise I can give you is to start your truck, climb under the hood, and try to pinpoint it. If you can't hear it, then climb underneath. If you think you have an idea of where the noise is coming from, get a stethoscope. If you don't have access to one, get a length of wood dowel, put it on wherever you think the noise is, stick your ear to it and find out. Obviously, please don't use this method around anything it could catch on, i.e. fan, belts, etc.

If you are able to locate the sound, but aren't able to fix it, then you will have, at least, saved yourself some money in the diagnostics process of the shop.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I wonder if the catalithic converter is broken inside or the torque converter is coming apart internally?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I will go with the ujoints, if the needle bearings have worked there way out or even partialy out of the housing it will sound exactly like you are discribing. You can easily do them yourself, you just need to melt the plastic injected retainers first, you will need a little propane torch to get them hot enough. Also make sure you raise the rear end to keep any fluid in the transmission were it belongs when you take the driveshaft out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the advice, I started checking things and...it ended up being the starter, to gear was just flopping around and kept making contact with the flywheel. new starter on board and all is well for now....

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Cool, glad it wasn't anything big$$$$$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts