GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got the money to finish up my system in my Silverado. I bought new front and rear speakers for it. I went with Sony Xplod 6.5" 4 way fronts and Sony Xplod 4x6" 4 way rears. I got the front speakers installed today and plan to install the rear ones tomorrow. Here are the pics of the front install.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last one... here are the speakers I bought and the tools I got to make the job easy. I'll post pics of the rear install tomorrow when I'm done.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, got the rear speakers installed today. I LOVE the way it sounds!! The mids are clean and clear, the highs are crisp and LOUD and the bass hits hard and clean. Here are the pics. I also upgraded the speaker wire running from my amp to my sub. I used Streetwires Ultra wire 12ga. wire. Let me know what ya think.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And here's a pic of my sub just to bury the hatchet.. LOL.

The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P4900iB

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
2 Posts
sony xplode

hello, nice pics, install looks great. how did your whole system sound? i currently have a alpine head unit, misc speakers, jl audio subs, 2 amps. i'd like to redo head unit and front speakers with components. its fun to do, but the funds usually limit the fun if you know what i mean.

·
Super Moderator
3,377 Posts
i think it is a job well done.......i thought the monster 14-2 wires were enough for my stuff and so far it is working well....mike
I think I'm running 10 gauge wire from my amp to the sub in my suburban. When you start pushing the large amounts of power, you don't want ot skimp on the power handling capacity anywhere or you could have some losses in power and such. Come to think of it, I still need to finish hiding the speaker wire, it's just running along the top of the floor... :neutral:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice write up and awesome pictures!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
looks good! hope it sounds better!!! how much did u pay for the speakers? I just got a new kenwood head unit and am tryin to price out some speakers so when i get money i can get some

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hello, nice pics, install looks great. how did your whole system sound? i currently have a alpine head unit, misc speakers, jl audio subs, 2 amps. i'd like to redo head unit and front speakers with components. its fun to do, but the funds usually limit the fun if you know what i mean.
Thanks, the system sounds awesome!! I LOVE the sound. It's like having a concert in my truck whenever I want, LOL!:great: I know what ya mean about the funds, I wanted to go with a Pioneer DVD/navigation headunit, bit I don't have that kind of cash right now. If you redo your system, post up some pics and let us know what you decided to go with.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm running 10 gauge wire from my amp to the sub in my suburban. When you start pushing the large amounts of power, you don't want ot skimp on the power handling capacity anywhere or you could have some losses in power and such. Come to think of it, I still need to finish hiding the speaker wire, it's just running along the top of the floor... :neutral:
Yep, wire is VERY important. I'm running 10 gauge power and ground wires, and a 16 gauge remote wire. My speaker wire running to the sub is 12 gauge, and so is the wire inside the subwoofer box. I try to keep my wires neat, not just for looks, but also to protect them. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice write up and awesome pictures!
THANK YOU!!! I noticed that nobody else has done a detailed write up with pictures like this, so I thought that I would do this to help other people that want to change their speakers.

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looks good! hope it sounds better!!! how much did u pay for the speakers? I just got a new kenwood head unit and am tryin to price out some speakers so when i get money i can get some

Thanks. The speakers for both sets were like $117 form walmart.com. Wal-Mart is the only place that I found that sells the Sony 4x6" speakers, so I just ordered both sets from them.

The rear speakers (4x6") were $32.98
The front speakers (6.5") were $49.87

I had them shipped overnight to me, so that makes up for the extra $34 in the total cost. :money:

Thanks
Jack.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey what are the dimensions on the box behind ur seat? i got the same exact truck...
The box is made by Atrend. the model is the 8TK. it was originally an 8" sub box, but I cut the hole larger to fit a 10" sub. i got it at Electronic Express for $59.99. Here are the specs of the box:

• Height: 20.00"
  • Width: 15.50"
  • TD: 5.25"
  • BD: 8.50"
  • Cu. Ft. 0.80
It fits perfectly behind my (drivers) seat. You will have to make a support for the side of the box closest to the door though or it will not sit level. I made a support out of 3" PVC conduit. I painted it with Crylon fusion satin black paint to make it look good. The support is about 5.5" tall. Here is a pic of the support:

Thanks
Jack.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hear Sony Xplodes rock. I have went for the Focal K2 series and they are rediculously loud powered by aaudison LRx 4.1k amp, and complemented by two kicker L5's stuffed under my seat pushing around 350w a piece from another audison amp to match, toss in the Kenwood in dash DVD/NAV and vvvwaa laaaaa! Although this isnt for the regular listener.. this is sort of extreem and admittedly rediculous, but hey, I'm just a crazy 28 year old.

I think that I'll put up pics soon.

Anyway, your instal looks clean. Nice work!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hear Sony Xplodes rock. I have went for the Focal K2 series and they are rediculously loud powered by aaudison LRx 4.1k amp, and complemented by two kicker L5's stuffed under my seat pushing around 350w a piece from another audison amp to match, toss in the Kenwood in dash DVD/NAV and vvvwaa laaaaa! Although this isnt for the regular listener.. this is sort of extreem and admittedly rediculous, but hey, I'm just a crazy 28 year old.

I think that I'll put up pics soon.

Anyway, your instal looks clean. Nice work!
Thank you.:happy: I love my system, the Xplods do rock!!! I heard a few years ago that sony speakers were junk, and the ones I heard back then were... I mean stock speakers would blow them away. :gasp: When I was shopping around for new speakers, I was originally going to go with Kicker. I was at the local electronic express one day and heard some guy demoing some speakers that sounded REALLY good, I mean jaw dropping good, so I walked over, and much to my surprise they were the EXACT same Xplod 6.5" 4 way coaxials that I ended up buying!!! I then started demoing the other Sony speakers they had, Including my subwoofer. I compared the Sony's to other brands like Kicker, Boston acoustics, Polk audio, and Pioneer. The Sonys sounded just as good as the really expensive speakers, and I ended up buying my subwoofer right there on the spot!!! I already had my pioneer head unit installed, and I also had already purchased the Pioneer GM-5300T 760 watt amp. I will always go with pioneer electronics, I have used their gear for years and I LOVE their stuff, all except their speakers, they are a little lacking in sound quality. After hearing the quality of the Sony speakers, I decided to go with all Sony speakers. I am very pleased with the setup I have. Thank you for the comments, I am a neat freak and a perfectionist, so I can't sleep until I have things the way I want them. Your setup looks great. I saw the pictures you put up in your thread. I love the false wall you made around the amps, very nice work!!:great: I know exactly what ya mean about the ridiculously loud system... that's one thing I love about mine, it can be loud as hell if I want, and it still sounds good at lower more "sane" volumes. I have an SPL meter, and I can hit 122db with no distortion. I'm just a crazy 25 year old, so you're not alone there... LOL!!! We'll probably be deaf before were 40... LOL:rofl:

Jack

1 - 20 of 33 Posts