GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 EXT 4X4 LS w/ 60K. Since the extreme cold temps back in Feb.(-21 f) the speedo just drops back to 0 after 15-20 minutes of driving. The odometer is NOT affected. If I hit the cruise control before it begins to drop, it drops more slowly to 0. Any insight?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Any drivability problems? Idle, shifting, poor performance, or bad gas mileage?
Check engine light on?

·
1,457 Posts
Smells like electronic problems.
Maybe it’s the speed sensor on the tranny, water penetration is a possibility.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Smells like electronic problems.
Maybe it’s the speed sensor on the tranny, water penetration is a possibility.
That's what I was thinking initially, but if the sensor was bad in the tranny then he would probably have drivability issues, like shifting problems, or poor performance, since the ECU relies on the speed sensor for engine, and trans control.

I'm starting to lean toward either ECU problem, or more likely an electronic problem in the dash.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Sounds like this is a popular problem there is actually a court case in progress for this Quote
"The law firm of Levy Ram & Olson, working with several other firms across the country, is investigating consumer complaints of defective speedometers in the following GM trucks and SUVs model year 2003-2007:

* Chevrolet Avalanche
* Chevrolet Silverado
* Chevrolet Suburban
* Chevrolet Tahoe
* Chevrolet Trailblazer
* GMC Denali
* GMC Envoy
* GMC Sierra
* GMC Trailblazer
* Cadillac Escalade

Class action complaints have been filed in Washington and in Oregon, and cases are pending in other states. King 5 TV News in Seattle has expressed interest in the story. As all of you are undoubtedly aware, this defect causes the speedometers to display wildly inaccurate speeds and could lead to dangerous conditions. Some have described speedometers reading 45 mph when standing still, or inaccurately slow readings while cruising on the highway. GM has been making these vehicles for years, well aware of the defective speedometers and well aware that this defect presents serious safety concerns. To date however, GM has refused to repair or replace the speedometers or to issue a recall. Loyal GM customers are forced to spend several hundred dollars to repair their vehicles and restore them to safe operating condition."

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The problem appears to be the stepper motors in the instrument cluster that drive all of the gauges. They are junk, and often go bad. There is a new and improved one that fixes the problem. DO NOT give GM the satisfaction of charging you hundreds to fix this. If you are ok with a soldering iron, you can fix the speedo with a new stepper motor for a little more than $12.00. There is a guy on eBay who sells the stepper motors for less than $10, and a couple of bucks for shipping. They are a newer generation of motors, and supposely don't go bad. He gives you instructions on how to do the repair with only a soldering iron, and a solder wick. I ordered 7 motors to replace them all for less than $75. The good motors have the following part #: X 25 168. The bad ones are: X C5 168. If you're not comfortable with the soldering, this guy will do it for about $150, but you need to ship the whole instrument cluster to him. It's very easy to remove, but you'll need to run without the cluster while it's out for repair. There are a number of people on the web who will repair or replace. Some ship you a repaired one, and require you to send your "core" back. Bottom line, there are lot's of options. Don't give GM the satisfaction or your $. You can find one or two sources of these motors on e-bay. Search for 03-06 GM Cluster Chevy Tahoe Silverado Stepper Motors. You can find lots of people who repair or replace the clusters. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem appears to be the stepper motors in the instrument cluster that drive all of the gauges. They are junk, and often go bad. There is a new and improved one that fixes the problem. DO NOT give GM the satisfaction of charging you hundreds to fix this. If you are ok with a soldering iron, you can fix the speedo with a new stepper motor for a little more than $12.00. There is a guy on eBay who sells the stepper motors for less than $10, and a couple of bucks for shipping. They are a newer generation of motors, and supposely don't go bad. He gives you instructions on how to do the repair with only a soldering iron, and a solder wick. I ordered 7 motors to replace them all for less than $75. The good motors have the following part #: X 25 168. The bad ones are: X C5 168. If you're not comfortable with the soldering, this guy will do it for about $150, but you need to ship the whole instrument cluster to him. It's very easy to remove, but you'll need to run without the cluster while it's out for repair. There are a number of people on the web who will repair or replace. Some ship you a repaired one, and require you to send your "core" back. Bottom line, there are lot's of options. Don't give GM the satisfaction or your $. You can find one or two sources of these motors on e-bay. Search for 03-06 GM Cluster Chevy Tahoe Silverado Stepper Motors. You can find lots of people who repair or replace the clusters. Good luck!
I am relieved to have found this posting. I have the same problem with my 2003 Silverado LS. Chevy denies anything but yet a guy that I work with me that has a 2003 Silverado 2500 had the same problem. Has anyone heard anymore on this??

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2004 silverado 1500 with this same problem. The dealer wanted 300 to fix it. They told me I would have to buy a new cluster. I did not go with the dealer and will have the guy on ebay do it for me. I am intrested on this lawsuite. Any more info on it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts