GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my '90 suburban last summer in Texas and drove it all the way home. The speedo was stuck at 67 most of the way and sometimes even went back to 0. It even started working for about 5 minutes. I just put it on the road yesterday and forgot about this problem (I also forgot to reinstall the rearview mirror and seatbelts). Is it a bad speedo or loose connection?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there i have an 03 tahoe and it was doing the same thing. It was the steper motor in the back of the cluster. Need to take it to a profesional. Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
With an older model (90) its all mechanical, it could be the cable, speedo gear at the trans, or the guage cluster itself. I'd try lubing the cable with graphite first then check the gear at the trans. Last would be the guage cluster.
Newer models are electro mechanical. These have had problems since the early 2000's. Saddly GM has'nt thought enough of the problem to do a voluntary recall and NHTSA has'nt forced them to do a recall.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With an older model (90) its all mechanical, it could be the cable, speedo gear at the trans, or the guage cluster itself. I'd try lubing the cable with graphite first then check the gear at the trans. Last would be the guage cluster.
Newer models are electro mechanical. These have had problems since the early 2000's. Saddly GM has'nt thought enough of the problem to do a voluntary recall and NHTSA has'nt forced them to do a recall.
That's what I figured. I spoke to my grandpa a while ago and it is just too damn cold right now to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I don't know about the '90 model, but I know for a fact that my '91 speedo is not mechanical. It pulls off the same sensor on the tranny as the rear wheel antilock brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts