GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced my son's '03 silverado speedo cluster. My son discovered that the four buttons on the steering wheel that post fuel information on the odometer screen dinm't work any more.
odometer works, trip readout works, door ajar etc all work at this screen.
Again, the four buttons that generate fuel consumption info etc don't work. Is this information generated in the speedometer cluster or do we have a completely seperate problem?
Could we have been given wrong cluster in exchande at repair place?
Trying to figure out where to start on this problem. Any direction would be appreciated.
"03 silverado, Z-71, 4x4, leather, lots of bells and whistles and buttons:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
This is one of the reasons my dad used to say not to get all the toys, just more things to go wrong.

As far as your problem I wonder if the wheel controls are not working? Now how to test those is not something I am familiar with.

Where the wheel controls working before you replaced the cluster?

Anyone else know how to test the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I can't help but think one of the wiring harnesses was inadvertently unplugged, or unplugged and forgotten to be plugged back in.

Sometimes getting those clusters out requires a lot of fiddling, and disconnecting of unrelated items just to make space so that you can
make it move where you need it to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the steering wheel controls, the four lower bvuttons that do not work after installation of new cluster. I carefully removed cluster again and there is only one cable of wires and connector properly connected.
I hope to establish if problem can actually be in cluster unit, and I was given wrong model that does not support these bells and whistles, or problem is actually some where else and has nothing to do with cluster.
I am the dad and did advise against bells and whistles, Dad's are supposed to do so!!!! oh well....
Thanks for your help and thoughts.:smile:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Early this morning, I looked at someone's silverado z-71 4x4 with cloth seats and no bells and whistles on steering wheel. Must be something in cluster that activates screen information for various bells and whistles. Called speedo shop in Costa Mesa Ca. this morning and asked question about problem. Speedo guy indicated that replacement cluster apperently was not properly programed.Shop removed bezel for me and sent me to instrument company in Brea, Orange County, Calif to exchange cluster.
Called instrument place in Brea and person I talked to indicated that cluster must not be properly programed. I will exchange cars with my son tomorrow and head to Brea to remove bezel and cluster in their parking lot and hopefully straighten this out. A good warrenty on cluster and they can re-program or exchange. I will now know what to look for when I re-install
cluster right there in their parking lot. Am relieved to know that problem may be easily solved. Thanks for help and will report back tomorrow.:happy:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Glad to hear that you may have the problem solved.

Maybe next time the kid will listen to dad?

Ya right. I never did.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have all those buttons and they just came with it.. i didnt request or loko for them it jsut happened but i dont or havent had any issues with mine.. let us know when you figure out what the problem is/was.. so if that ever happens to me.. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
End of crisis! Went up to Brea to instrument repair folks. Takes me 5 min to remove bezel and cluster. Took them three min to program cluster for me.
End of problem!
The instrument folks have about 99% dealer coustomers, so they didn't realise I was a walk-in. Dealer programs cluster for proper model and then good to go. At a very high price. I simply didn't know to ask if unit was programed for my son's bells and whistles silverado. Replacement cluster
cost $247 exchange. Be sure to ask for proper program!
.:great:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts