GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is not candy paint, and it was done with Dupli-color rattle cans. The flames are Flash red on the Victory Red Body.

The vehicle is a 2006 Chevy Colorado Stretch.

It was block sanded and polished to a glassy finish. There is NO clear or gloss over this- it's the bare paint after compounding.

I worked all the way down to 2000grit, then hand-rubbed it all out.

http://youtu.be/t9001mJr5eE YouTube Video of the flames coming and going as I walk around it.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
That looks great KB. Lots of hours/days getting it that nice. How many hours from start to finish? Also how did you lay out the flames? That's the part that would keep me from ever attempting it is laying out the flames. :neutral: I have no artistic talent.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
That looks great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About two weeks of afternoons. I covered the hood with 2" blue masking tape, and drew them on. They are intentionally not symmetrical. I cut them out with an Xact-o knife...twice.

I had them done, and screwed it all up.

Here's the process shots.

A fresh, solid coat of Flash Red*, then the mask goes on again, but this time, it's a complete free-hand artwork, and can you see the Helizone Firebird Influence in these flames?
*Slightly metallic, it turns out...nice!

Not based on, or intended to emulate, anything but itself. Barely symmetrical on purpose.

Three whole cans of Victory Red go on...

"Walk Away. HUMAN. Just, walk away. Let it dry completely this time."

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Very nice, Good job...

·
Registered
34 Posts
That looks awesome

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
That is one sweet paint job. How did you figure out what color to use for the flames?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
NICE.....wow, your the man..this is awsome !

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Looks great man! I wish I knew how to do all the final polishing and compounding! That makes all the difference!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
That looks awesome. Doing paint work like that takes talent. Talent you obviously have and I don't. You said you didn't clear coat it. Was there a reason for that? I want to try something like this on my Harley.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That is quite possibly the best rattle can job I have EVER seen! Amazing job!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks everyone.
The hardest part is where you're actually doing nothing while the paint dries. Then waiting a day or so to wet-sand each application of paint.
The biggest trick, is using a block/rubber pad to wrap the sandpaper around while sanding. I used a 2" x 3" chunk of 1/4" thick ABS plastic as a sanding block to sand the paint with 400, 600grit wetordry paper, and switching to a rubber pad of similar dimension to do the 1000, 1500, and 2000grit sandings. Meguiar's car polish was used for the final rub-out.

Key to success is that every paint product is from the same product line, and that it's all lacquer, not enamel. Enamels just won't dry quickly enough- the process would have taken 3 months, because enamel HAS to completely dry before any polishing or working of the surfaces. Lacs, on the other hand, are pretty much dry when they feel dry.

Now I'm using the blocks and paper to go over the whole truck to remove the faint factory ripples in it, and re-polish the paint out. I'm using the same rattle-can paint sprayed into a jar to do minor chips and such along the way, and it blends beautifully.
Slowly but surely, I'll make the truck's paint look better than the factory job.

·
Registered
51 Posts
thats pretty awesome, love the look of it:great:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Looks great. Nice custom truck!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
One word... WOW!!! When I read "spray-canned.... onto my hood" I was thinking, 'oh no. What poor soul has ruined his truck now'. And then to see this.... NOT what I expected at all. You did a great job with not only the flames, but with the whole truck! I've never seen anything like that. It looks amazing. Cheers to you, buddy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts