GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 silverado z85 with a 5.3 . it has started squeeling badly. sounds like cats r being killed under my hood. lol. i replaced the belt w no success i also replaced the pully w no success. i did some research online and found this to be a somewhat common problem but have found no solution. i am willing to try n e thing its driving me insane. pls help.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you sure it's not your AC compressor? I had a bearing go bad in one that I used to own and it made a terrible cat murdering scream.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no when i spray some wd40 or bearing grease on the pully it stops until it wears off then comes right back.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Maybe its the tension pully on the AC? Try some belt dressing to see if the noise goes away..iif it does its a pully...if not it could be your alternator going bad and squealing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have you tried packing the bearing with grease or using some lube with teflon or PTFE? Even some 30w oil would help.

If it is the pulley itself try belt dressing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya im sure its the pully. i used belt dressing on the belt i had on before this one and it make it way worse. so i replaced the belt and the pully and its still makin the noise. when i spray wd 40 it goes away until it wears off then comes back. the research ive done says that the belt doesnt run centered on the pully and its a factory issue. but i havent found n e one that has came up w a solution

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

ya ive tried bearing grease and it works for a few mins til it wears off then comes right back. every time i use the belt dressing it makes it worse then i have to clean the belt and pullys off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Seems like there should be some way to tweak it so that it would quit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maybe some shims, there has to be a way to fix it, with out seeing it it is hard to tell what to do. Pipe wrench and a big hammer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Squeal

I have been a shade tree mechanic since 1959.
I too recently had a squeal that I thought for sure was a belt or an idler pulley. I put on a new belt, the noise stopped for about a day.
It turned out to be the power steering pump, I changed it and it has never squealed again.
Sure did fool me.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
kinda funny, but my GMC is doing this same thing, comes and goes to some extent. seems worse after its been sitting over night. really hasnt bothered me enough to be to worried, i looked it over this last saturday (was cleaning the MAF S) and didnt see anything outa place so i dunno.

keep an eye on it i guess.

Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts