GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue when is start up my truck it continues to turn over. I thought it was the start, so I put a new one in, but it still does it. It really only happens when the vehicle is cold and on the first try. Is it an ignition problem?

Also my truck is a 2003 and just hit 80,000 miles. It has stalde out on me a couple of times. Should I get a tune up done or something.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
When you say it continues to turn over is this after you release the key?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just a guess, it could be the battery. Have a load test done on it.
Dave
2011 Silverado Z71 4X4 Ext 18" Wheels
Leer Hard Body tonneau cover

·
Registered
214 Posts
Some ECM computers actually activate the starter on command from the ignition switch. If the motor does not start, it holds the starter "on" for a second or two until it does. Sounds like you have a problem which manifests itself when the engine is cold, perhaps a temperature sender or weak ignition.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm more confused on why you replaced the starter if that's what you are referring to as start. Also confused on the whole continued to turn over, do you mean continued to turn over while holding key but engine wouldn't run? Also if your starter is engaging and turning the engine over then its probably not the battery unless its a weak crank, as in the starter is turning the engine over slowly. Now back to your main issue, if it is turning over but not starting and happens mostly on cold days id look into fuel issue, now if "cold" is below freezing even if it reaches that temp over night but the am it is warmer, you could have water in your fuel system some where witch is freezing up untill everything starts flowing witch could explain why after first start it works normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. After I release the key, sometimes it acts as if I still had the key turned. The engine fires right up regardless.

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

Just a guess, it could be the battery. Have a load test done on it.
Dave
2011 Silverado Z71 4X4 Ext 18" Wheels
Leer Hard Body tonneau cover
I got a new battery

---------- Post added at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

Does that mean my ignition is going bad?

Some ECM computers actually activate the starter on command from the ignition switch. If the motor does not start, it holds the starter "on" for a second or two until it does. Sounds like you have a problem which manifests itself when the engine is cold, perhaps a temperature sender or weak ignition.

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

I replaced the starter because my buddy suggested it, but it didn't help. When I turn the key the engine fires right up, then I release the key. Even though I release the key it keeps making the noise it does when I have the key turned.

I just recently replace the battery and the alternator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
the starter will still engage if there is no start, now im not sure if its normal and i totally forget why or what causes it but in some cars its a normal thing, sorry i cant be more helpful i only briefly heard about it in school and now i totally forget

·
Registered
214 Posts
As long as the starter stops cranking the engine after it starts, I think you are O.K. If it hangs in the flywheel after the engine starts, you DO have a problem, but if you have changed the starter, it's probably not the starter at fault.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still having the same problem. I just replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires. I also put Sea Foam in the oil and gas to clean up a little bit. None off this helped. I asked one of my buddies and he suggested that it might be a heat sensor and when the vehicle cold starts it doesn't choke or something. Have you guys ever herd of this? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

I'm still having the same problem. I just replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires. I also put Sea Foam in the oil and gas to clean up a little bit. None off this helped. I asked one of my buddies and he suggested that it might be a heat sensor and when the vehicle cold starts it doesn't choke or something. Have you guys ever herd of this? Thanks.
When you say it continues to turn over is this after you release the key?

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

How do I fix the temperature sender?

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. check the starter relay that it clicks on and off. it could be getting stuck closed keeping the starter circuit engaged.

2 check alternator output is normal. a full fielded alternator could put out enough amperage to make the starter solenoid temporary weld itself together keeping the starter engaged

1 - 10 of 10 Posts