GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a gmc sierra 2003 4.2L V6 that wouldn't start for a day just made a click noise (one click) It is not the battery and I tried tapping on the neg and pos battery lines. Tried starting throughout the day and always got a click. even crawled under the truck and hit the starter with a hammer. The next day I was about to take the starter out and go match it at a junk yard but before I figured I'd give it one more try for good luck. First try click and the truck started on the second try no hesitation then turned the truck off and it wont start again... I was hoping there is a simple ground or an easy fix i'm looking for. Thanks in advance - John

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Sounds like the starter motor to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You say it's not the battery. I hear that a lot in my business and time and time again I show people that their battery terminals are loose. Side post batteries are known for that problem, and can cause that very issue even though the battery tests out ok. They have to be tight. Also, the item to TAP on would be the solenoid on the starter. Be careful when tapping as things are somewhat fragile and will break if not careful.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It definitely could be the starter, but as Rich50 said, be sure to check your terminals. Make sure there is no corosion, and everything is nice and tight. Also, climb back under and check all of the wires on the starter and the frame ground. If the wires are loose, you could get the same symptoms as a dead battery.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. As mentioned above the side terminals on these batteries come loose. I check mine every month.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you have a voltmeter hold the terminals on the pos and neg posts (ensuring everything is tight and clean), and have a buddy turn the key to start. If you voltage drops below 10 volts as your buddy turns the key your battery is either bad or needs charging. x2 on what Rich said, tap the solenoid (on starter) simultanously while your buddy cycles the key back and fourth if you get results replace starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts