GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hea yall. im nick from down in bama, i have my truck that i would love to go off roading in but not yet, gotta tweek it first. any suggestions?? lookin for tire upgrade and suspension lift.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club Nick, from L.A., Lower Alabama.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sup.... any idea for a 35" tire set and sized rims??? or a 2"-6" lift kit??

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
For a '97 you will need a 6" lift to run 35's. I have a 6" Rancho on my '96 Burb. Its a great kit because it has a 1-piece welded subframe and the upper controlarm brackets are gusseted and boxed in. Its more money than alot of kits but its worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where abouts are we lookin for that kit?? and wheres a good RELIABLE place to get one from?? also ive been lookin at new rims, thinkin some black 18" but i keep seein the offset and have no idea what thats all about or whats prefered. i see anythin g from a -13mm to a 12mm offset.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
First decide what manufacture lift kit you are going to install before you buy wheels as differant lift kits require differant wheel offset. Check your local speed or off-road shops and the mail order suppliers for your best price on lift kits. Make sure you get a price including shocks and shipping cost.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Welcome to the club Nick

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Welcome to the GMTC !

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stage 1 is almost complete, removal part is at least. gotta cap it off and keep on with the transformation.

IMG_0515.jpg IMG_0514.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
X2 why cut the roof off????

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
cuz since i was a kid i always wanted a convertible. and since im an extreamly "out of the norm" kind of person i didnt want a convertible car, so i converted the truck. besides, anyone can lift/lower a truck and trick it out with chrome. if you see a convertible truck most people are gonna be more persuaded to leave it alone because "only a nut job would do something like that". so therefore they feel less inclined to screw with your vehicle....thats my theory

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

also does anyone know how difficult/possible it is to take the suspension and axle, front and back, of a 2500/3500 and fit it into a 1500 body and frame??

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

also does anyone know how difficult/possible it is to take the suspension and axle, front and back, of a 2500/3500 and fit it into a 1500 body and frame??

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Ok, just be aware that by cutting off the roof you lose some of the structural rigidity of your truck. Also, what about when it rains/ snows??? As for fitting the drivetrain parts from an HD truck onto a half-ton, it is possible, but for the costs/ time involved, you'd be better off just buying an HD truck to start with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rain im not scared of, snow.....im in alabama, not likely. and i have re-enforced the side panels and whatnot to keep close to factory structural integrity. as for the drive line, ive got nothin but time, id do the work myself so that cuts alot of cost down, just needed to know it if was physically possible to fit or if serious welding or whatnot would be required.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts