GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been purchasing some car parts through international shops (That have zero business presence in the United States) and all of a sudden they are charging State Sales Taxes....... This really is getting out of hand. You should only pay taxes if you purchase stuff locally.

I mean.... If you get a pay check..... State and Federal income taxes are taken out. Then if you make a purchase .... sales taxes are taken out. If you buy gasoline..... there is a tax..... I live in a state where property tax is assessed on cars annually.

I mean, you know I go to the dealer and make a taxable purchase on a car every [email protected]#$%^&*() year........ I don't buy my car 1 time and pay it off (The car is a 1 time purchase) not a yearly purchase.

There is going to come a point where we cannot even buy groceries because the F ing taxes are out of hand.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sales tax is a very complex issue. Each state has different rules and regulations. A business does not need a presence in some states to charge a tax as they may be deemed to reside there by virtue of having an affiliate there or a shipping warehouse or a large portion of their sales. California is the worst state for this in my past dealings. I am just waiting for most states and provinces to catch up with Amazon and Ebay who do not charge sales tax on purchases into their areas from affiliates and sometimes local sellers. This puts both of them at an advantage over local sellers and hurts local businesses.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sales tax is a very complex issue. Each state has different rules and regulations. A business does not need a presence in some states to charge a tax as they may be deemed to reside there by virtue of having an affiliate there or a shipping warehouse or a large portion of their sales. California is the worst state for this in my past dealings. I am just waiting for most states and provinces to catch up with Amazon and Ebay who do not charge sales tax on purchases into their areas from affiliates and sometimes local sellers. This puts both of them at an advantage over local sellers and hurts local businesses.
This is interesting because I remember when the fiasco about buying out of state hit the news and the government forced sales tax collection on out of state purchases the main whiners were local businesses and the state governments saying they were loosing money.

While I don't mind supporting local businesses, I don't buy nick nacks or antiques...... for instance, the little "local" businesses were I live are not going to carry cabin air filters,wheels, bumpers, and if I have to go to the deailer (Local Business), none of those items were manufactured in the State or for that matter. We all (or at least the majority of us) own at least 1 tv. Does anyone think that your local city or town , or state for that matter has a factory that manufacturers TV's? Probably not. Our local electronics store is not a mom and pops store on main street. It is Best Buy, Sears, HH Greg, etc..... so Buy Local right?

The only thing that might truly be "local" is produce, and for that you have to go to the farmers market. The issue with the farmers market, at least my "Local and State" farmers market, is the vendors are allowed to import produce from out of the country. So you never really know what is local anymore.

But back to my op...... International Purchases.... It must be a third party processing the payments that is doing it. But that raises the next question.....Why do they call it "estimated" sales tax. that has to be against the law. Sales tax cannot be "estimated" it local has set tax rates and I am 100% sure that there are online services that maintain listings of all state and local sales taxes. So if I over pay an "estimated" Sales tax then do I get money back for over paying?

Say if I live in Mississippi and purchase something from London, England, UK....... there is no legal way I can be charged Mississippi sales tax on the purchase.

·
Registered
13,446 Posts
Canadians bring purchased items across the boarder, from the US into Canada, are required to pay provincial and federal sales taxes.
We do have some exemptions, depending upon length of stay and country of manufacture. Of course, state taxes are applied at point of purchase.

And technically, when we order something from outside the country sales tax is due when the item is received. It's a voluntary tax; but it is supposed to be paid.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Canadians bring purchased items across the boarder, from the US into Canada, are required to pay provincial and federal sales taxes.
Actually, only the federal tax is collected at the border. The provinces lose out.

And technically, when we order something from outside the country sales tax is due when the item is received. It's a voluntary tax; but it is supposed to be paid.
Yes, but, Amazon and Ebay do not include the tax in their invoice even if it is purchased in your province. That is a big opportunity the Government is missing out on.

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 460k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
62 Posts
Having worked in a large, international company's tax department, here's what I saw:

Taxes were charged or not charged based on "best available at the moment" information regarding tax rates and exemptions. In Legal-ese, this was "estimated tax". My job in the department was to collect exemption forms and receipts to verify proper taxes were applied so they could be paid out to the government and for audit purposes. If they were not handled properly, the value of the bill would dictate whether the taxes were pursued, just paid by the company, or if a credit needed to be applied. By saying "estimated taxes", the seller is leaving the door open for an amended invoice with the proper tax rate and/or a higher bill. In essence, "this is what we think you owe us, but if we need to we'll be back for more". It's the same as paying the estimated balance prior to checking out of the hospital. Insurance hasn't been processed, but they're giving you an educated approximation of your final bill, notwithstanding significant circumstantial changes.

Hopefully this was beneficial commentary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts