GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 Gmc sierra had allot of play in the steering gear box, in very windy days allot of corrective steering. This was above my knowledge and time/tools had a garage do it.
They installed after market found that at a dead stop could not turn wheel a quarter turn felt like it was already turned fully either way.

They changed it with another after market same issue, changed the power steering pump thinking weak pump same problem didn't need to but the age of the vehicle and having previously run the pump low felt it was a good call.

The garage and myself at last straws determined finally put a GM steering gear box in if it doesn't fix it they tried to say it was normal.

Well the OEM fixed it. Finally able to have power at a dead stop.

I just hope this helps or save frustration if you want to change the steering gear box. Cheaper is not always the same as OEM.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
many have had these issues .. I have no issues on power steering I replace all the power steering fluid every 7 years ... GM did not say when to change that fluid .
the only issue was on my 2000 silverado the steering box seal was leaking.. I fixed it the seal was corroded rusted out .. the input seal is on top and then the water fills up that port input shaft .. I modified that area to obstruct the water from entering that area.. works like new.. also no noise ..use prestone power steering GM spec. for my truck.. various power steering fluids tricky..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts