GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one heard of this problem? At any speed and more so when I am turning and going over bumps even small ones I can feel and hear a Klunk or Knock sound in the steering wheel. I called the dealer to see if there where any re calls on the steering shaft and they said no. It reminded me of my wifes defective tower bearings in her 02 Cavelier.

Thank you All,

Joe

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
on my saturn ion, the sway bar bushings go out REAL fast, and cause clunks when you drive over speed bumps. Might wanna check out those bushings for the problem...

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Hey Joe,
I think we have covered this in a few previous posts as this is common. Maybe someone can find those posts or do a google search for "Intermediate steering shaft lube procedure" and you can find directions on how to fix this common problem. Some dealers have fixed it for free, others will charge you to fix or replace the intermediate steering shaft or you can purchase the repair kit yourself.

What year and model vehicle is doing this?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has any one heard of this problem? At any speed and more so when I am turning and going over bumps even small ones I can feel and hear a Klunk or Knock sound in the steering wheel. I called the dealer to see if there where any re calls on the steering shaft and they said no. It reminded me of my wifes defective tower bearings in her 02 Cavelier.

Thank you All,

Joe

I recently had my 04 looked at by the dealer and there is a TSB out on the steering mid shaft problem. He said that they are replacing these and not just lubricating them anymore. Mine feels like a new truck since they replaced mine. I originally thought that I had a bad shock up front. I was glad that this was covered by GM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts