GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
all vehicles made since 1969 have a steering wheel lock, i would have it checked out. if you just bought it bring it back to the dealer. wheel lock mechanisum is part of the steering wheel ignition switch. when you shut the truck off it releases the pin in the colum that slide up to a plate under the wheel into slots in the plate. to check whats wrong you need to remove the steering wheel and with air bags in the wheel this can be a dangerous thing to do if you dont know how to do it safely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
you did not say which vehicle you own but I will assume it is a Suburban. If that vehicle came with optional peripheral anti-theft protection it does not have a locking steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
thats a new one on me, but then i'm not familiar with the newest technology. exactly what is this "optional peripheral anti-theft protection?"

·
Registered
82 Posts
yeah, it's just a fancy name for a sophisticated security system that monitors all entry areas to the vehicle that almost all the car manufacturers are now using. Such as doors, windows, trunk, hood. Either the right key or remote code must be used or the alarm is set off and the engine immobolized. Since the engine is immobilized without the correct key a lot of car makers are no longer using locking steering wheels. Some use that and continue to use a locking wheel though. My new truck does not have a locking wheel nor did the 2004 Chevy Van I drove for 6 months last year.

G

·
0 Posts
I wonder if they thought that through on the psychological impact. Many people are quite used to having the steering lock, and to not have it could possibly either make the owner feel like there is something wrong, or that the car is simply not as secure as it could be. For instance there would be no problem in disabling the security system and then pushing the car down the road away from it's parking space to an awaiting flatbed. :( Or just loading it onto a flatbed from it's parking space.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
For me, I'm a big and heavy guy (although I've lost 30 lbs on the Atkins' diet!) and I use the steering wheel to help me get in and out of the vehicle. Without a steering wheel lock, I'm liable to break my wrist and I put pressure on the wheel to get in/out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Should have seen me the first time I got in one of the new cars that do not lock. I tried to get it to lock for 20 minutes. Turned the wheel, turned the engine on off, put it in park (probably 30 times), finally I cussed a little and just figured if someone wanted to take it they could have it!

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
I guess it's just one of those things that you just get used to and expect.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i dont know the keep coming up with all these things to keep stuff from getting stolen and the theves just keep cuming up with ways around them. but like steve said we just have to get used to them. i still hate cd's, but i am getting used to them. they arent as durable as my old cassettes tho i found three in my old 84 fiero parts car all that had been out back for over a year put them in the player and they ran fine, try that with a cd.

G

·
0 Posts
I wish I had that luck with tapes. I had a cassette tape of the "tractors", that I used to play for my daughter when she was about 5yrs (baby likes to rock it) she liked the "Boogie woogie choo choo train" part of the song....(getting off track here...no pun intended) I left the cassette tape in it's ejected state in the radio, and when I came back out to my truck I found that it had gotten so hot that the cassette folded over in half.

However I had a friend who used to just throw his CD's in his trunk, with no protective case, and they would still play pretty good even though they had been scratched to hell and back.

ok, so that's my two cents that no one asked for....lol :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts