GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i tried search but could not find anything specific to my question. I am not going to fork out the money for an aftermarket CAI. Question is: Can anything be done to the stock piece? I noticed that there are several "dumps" if you will that seem to serve no purpose other than maybe creating turbulance. Can this piece be modified? thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
What vehicle is this for?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
d'oh! sorry. this is for my 01 silverado, 6.0L. i have been told these may be silencers. i was hoping i could maybe cut these off, or.... thanks

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I can't seem to find a picture of a stock motor, do you have one or can you take one to post up so we can take a look at the system?

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can cut holes in the bottom of the stock air box. As long as you don't think you'll be driving through a small river any time soon, it shouldn't be an issue.

Friend did this to his Z71 classic silverado and hasn't had any issues. He even had to drive through some large "puddles" in some past thunderstorms and there wasn't a drop of water around the box.

He later replaced the tubing with some aftermarket component to open up what little restriction was left. Still much cheaper than any other alternative.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the tube that connects the filter box to the throttle body. on the under side there are some "nowhere" bulges.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah, I've taken the air intake assembly apart before. The tube would need to be replaced if you want to free up air flow. I believe the extra bulge is just for sound dampening to reduce intake noises.

·
Registered
270 Posts
the tube would be easy just go down to lowes and place all the parts with3 inch pvc pipe and connectors ive done that. helps air flow. as for the air box you can make up your own air box and use a cone air filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts