GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time posting.:happy:

I'm looking to upgrade my factory exhaust, i was looking at a MagnaFlow S-in/D-Out setup keeping the 3inch in, and going dual 2.25inch out to some tips.

Question: When i'm looking at my stock exhaust i see after the cats and the Y joint, it seems that there are two "devices" following the Y joint. first seems to be a resonator and second has some metal wrappings then it goes out to the Muffler. What are these devices and can I have the muffler shop just cut those "devices" out. The reason i ask is that the exhaust pipe size actually seems to reduce 1/2 inch or so between these "devices" which seems pointless to me.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the two "devices" i'm referring too. Wondering if these are required if i change my exhaust.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The woven metal piece is a flex pipe. The one that looks like a resonator is actually a honeycomb cat that is some kind of a final "scrubber". My truck had this on it because it was a California truck & they have extremely high emissions requirement. If you live in a non compliant state then your "scrubber" may be blank (no honeycomb, no cat effect) & just being used to fill the space. You probably won't know for sure untill you look in it.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The woven metal piece is a flex pipe. The one that looks like a resonator is actually a honeycomb cat that is some kind of a final "scrubber". My truck had this on it because it was a California truck & they have extremely high emissions requirement. If you live in a non compliant state then your "scrubber" may be blank (no honeycomb, no cat effect) & just being used to fill the space. You probably won't know for sure untill you look in it.
x2^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts