GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 chevy silverado 5.3 100,000 miles. there is no add ons on the truck. i just bought the truck and im going back to the dealership friday because they said they will fix the problem at no additional cost if they can find it. so i dont want to go there and they tell me they cant figure it out. i want to know 1 or more things it could be. i did a search on here and found alot of stuff about lifters or normail chevy tick. this is only when acclerating or punching the throttle. if i put it in park or neautral and rev it up there is no ticking. so i think it has nothing to do with the lifters. its sounds to be right under the motor and can hear it inside the truck.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Since it doesn't do it in neutral when you rev it, that pretty much eliminates the lifters. This sounds like an exhaust leak. Even though you can't hear it in the cab when you rev it in neutral, try listening outside under the hood & under the truck. It won't be as loud as when it's under load, but you should be able to locate it & point it out to the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never had the problem, but I have read numerous times of ticks and rattling coming from the washers on the O2 sensors. Apparently they some how are loose even of the O2 is not (doesn't make any sense to me), but many people suggest 'crimping' or crushing the washer to take out some of the slop. If thats it, maybe you can get them to replace the O2s?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wouldnt the exhaust make the noise in neautral or park when i revit also? i figured i made a list of things it could be ruled out some others
-exhaust
-front and rear ujoints
-o2 sensors
-seals, nothings wet under the truck so it might not have anything to do with this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes and No. Noises are funny and hard to duplicate sometimes. I have had other vehicles that make noises under load.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I am glad to see that you are planning to work with your local dealership ro have this issue resolved. While I am not able to diagnose this concern from here, I would like to hear how it goes at the dealership. Please feel free to contact me with any new information as well as if you have any future concens. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It could be a manifold leak, which you probably wouldn't notice unless it's under load, or it could be a torque converter bolt coming loose (assuming it's an automatic). I had this happen on my '91 Sub a while ago. Took me about 2 weeks to actually track it down. One of my torque converter bolts had come loose and was hitting the dust shield under torque.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be a manifold leak, which you probably wouldn't notice unless it's under load, or it could be a torque converter bolt coming loose (assuming it's an automatic). I had this happen on my '91 Sub a while ago. Took me about 2 weeks to actually track it down. One of my torque converter bolts had come loose and was hitting the dust shield under torque.

Good luck!
ill keep that in mind also, they said they will fix it if they find it when i bring it back. couldnt get it done the day i bought the truck because service shop was closed bought my truck 7oclock at night. i just wanted to see what all it could be so they cant tell me that they dont know and didnt check something else.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
founf the problem, truck goes back this weekend and gets done monday, had a exhaust manifold bolt just sitting in the manifold broke off, i get new everything, except new manifolds. all new bolts, gasket, and manifolds are sent out to be shaved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts