GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a question that is probably not a smart one, but I sure don't know the answer. How do I know if my truck is the new or classic body style? I tried doing some searches online with no luck. Can someone tell me how to tell or show me pictures of the difference? Thanks!

·
1,457 Posts
You can decode the VIN, do a search on the forum there are different topics about VIN decoding. By the way there are no stupid questions :lol:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
the Classic body styles ran from 1999 or 2000 to 2007, and the new body style came out in 2007.5.
Because yours is like my 2006 body style, it is the Classic. the new body style for 2007.5 & 2008 look like this...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thanks for the help guys! :great:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If you head over to any other gm truck sites their a little more complicated. The 99-07 is the NBS (new body style) and the 07-08 NBS is the NNBS ( new new body style). The reason they did this is they got use to calling the 99-07's the NBS truck compared to the 96 and older and they didn't want to change all the names. Confusing I know. :gasp:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
It would have been nice in 2007 to just introduce the "New Body Style" as a 2007 and leave the left-over 06's alone instead of pushing them into 2007 because the differences between the two are so great. I'm not sure you can even call a 2006 and older Silverados "Classic" because the name did not exist untill the new body style was introduced for 2007.5 then that became the Silverado, and the 2007 became the "Classic". My fist truck I started driving when I got my license 26 years ago was a 1965 GMC, Now that was a classic!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I know alot of people that like the classic body style of the 07. I'm a fan of the NBS which is why I bought mine. Ford did the same thing in 04 with their NBS. Most times people are able to buy a brand new truck of the same year for a couple thousand less if they go for the older body style.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post! I'm not a big fan of the newer body styles, I like the "Classic" versions. As mentioned above, there's no real reason to name the previous model a classic, it's only because Chevy wants the newer body styles to have the Silverado name.

·
Registered
85 Posts
First post! I'm not a big fan of the newer body styles, I like the "Classic" versions. As mentioned above, there's no real reason to name the previous model a classic, it's only because Chevy wants the newer body styles to have the Silverado name.
X2 BigRed, the new body style hasn`t growed on me yet either. I think maybe if they would do something different with the front bumper it would help the looks. Maybe in time i will learn to like it.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I only like new body style Silverados that have been accessorized. When they are stock they look like the wheels are too small . ESP. The HD's look more like Transformers.good looking trucks when lifted though

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Yea I agree Darcy.... the wheels are definitely unproportional and too small for the truck.... and the front is entirely too low

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for posting this question! My father owns a 2007 and I bought towing mirrors for it. They turned out to be the wrong ones! I couldn't figure out, through all my google searching, if it was a classic body style or not! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
The only GM trucks I ever thought looked bad were the late NBS models - the 03s to 07s. Those squared headlights just never looked right.

·
6,019 Posts
I think that with every model change comes a "classic" model. For example in 1999 when the NBS silverado was released GM still sold the Old body style as the "Classic" that year. If you look for parts for a 99' many times the guy at the counter will ask if it is a classic. I learned that when asking for parts for a classic 99' it is easier to ask for parts for a 1998 model. Just google 1999 silverado and look at the pics, then google 1999 silverado classic. Same thing in 2007

·
Registered
7 Posts
My last chevy truck was a 1996, but when we put parts in it we had to use 1995 parts, so I do think they do this alot!

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Guess that means there will be some 2013 Classics next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts