GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to go with Rockford Fosgate Subs i have narrowed it down to (2) 10' P3SD210 or P3SD410's. Which Rockford Fosgate amp would i pair these subs with?

Originally i wanted to change my HU to a DVD Nav but don’t have the cash to blow on the entire system at once. so figured id start with the Subs/amp/box then down the road add the HU/wiring harnesses needed for stock features.

I did read that i would need a LOC in order to hook the system up to the stock HU for this configuration. i have read a bunch of posts of ppl doing so, but haven’t come across a good HOW TO article (with pictures and all! aka Marine proof :sign0017:) if there is a link/website that would be awesome.

This would be my fist attempt at putting a system together so its gna be interesting learning it all, but i am a DIY kind of guy when it comes to my truck/Bike so all info is great.

thanks all really loving the site.. so much mods i want to do .. wish i had the money to do them all at once!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have decided to go with Rockford Fosgate Subs i have narrowed it down to (2) 10' P3SD210 or P3SD410's. Which Rockford Fosgate amp would i pair these subs with?

Originally i wanted to change my HU to a DVD Nav but don’t have the cash to blow on the entire system at once. so figured id start with the Subs/amp/box then down the road add the HU/wiring harnesses needed for stock features.

I did read that i would need a LOC in order to hook the system up to the stock HU for this configuration. i have read a bunch of posts of ppl doing so, but haven’t come across a good HOW TO article (with pictures and all! aka Marine proof :sign0017:) if there is a link/website that would be awesome.

This would be my fist attempt at putting a system together so its gna be interesting learning it all, but i am a DIY kind of guy when it comes to my truck/Bike so all info is great.

thanks all really loving the site.. so much mods i want to do .. wish i had the money to do them all at once!

I would go with the dual 4ohm. What are you paying for them...see prices vary from about $114 on up.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9155_Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P3SD410-Shallow-mount-09P3SD410.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27501_Combo-Rockford-Fosgate-PRIME-R500-1-Amp-Kit.html

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've seen some eBay stores selling the 2 10' 4 ohms for $199.00. Would that 500w amp be enough to power both subs?
The subs are only 300 watts rms and 600 peak. That amp should be fine. Actually you may want to get the 2ohm subs and wire themat 2ohm and push 500watts to them. if you get the 4ohm you willk have to wire them at 4ohm and push 320 watts to them.

there are other amps that will work I just picked out a good matching brand amp that will push those subs well and not break the bank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The subs are only 300 watts rms and 600 peak. That amp should be fine. Actually you may want to get the 2ohm subs and wire themat 2ohm and push 500watts to them. if you get the 4ohm you willk have to wire them at 4ohm and push 320 watts to them.

there are other amps that will work I just picked out a good matching brand amp that will push those subs well and not break the bank.

Thanks.... Would the 500w Punch series amp be better then the 500w prime series amp though? I see the efficiency is higher. I would like to save the cash but I rather have a good sounding system.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...sp?cat_id=2&locale=en_US&comp=(112089,111371)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just ordered my p3sd210's ... any advice on a good amp that would work well... should i get the rockford p-500-1bd?.. their about $200-$260... any amps out there with the same quility/specs for cheaper? something that will make the subs sound great obviously.. thanks. or just suk it up and get the rockford p-500's

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
well i just ordered my p3sd210's ... any advice on a good amp that would work well... should i get the rockford p-500-1bd?.. their about $200-$260... any amps out there with the same quility/specs for cheaper? something that will make the subs sound great obviously.. thanks. or just suk it up and get the rockford p-500's
I always say if you can afford better do it. When you pick your amp just be aware of the load the amps can handle vs what you can wire your subs at.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always say if you can afford better do it. When you pick your amp just be aware of the load the amps can handle vs what you can wire your subs at.
What would be the load of an amp? the total power ?(which would be 500W here). both subs are rms rated at 300 ea. (so 600 together?)... if i wire them at 2ohm to the amp that would only give me 500W. which is max for the amp but not for the subs.

im new to this sub/amp game so hopefully im understanding this correctly.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
What would be the load of an amp? the total power ?(which would be 500W here). both subs are rms rated at 300 ea. (so 600 together?)... if i wire them at 2ohm to the amp that would only give me 500W. which is max for the amp but not for the subs.

im new to this sub/amp game so hopefully im understanding this correctly.
For example if the amp your going to buy will do 500 watts @ 1ohm....you need to make sure your subs can be wired for 1 ohm depending on the number of voice coils and how many ohms they are

So if your subs are dual voice coil 2ohm....your only going to run them at 2ohm or 8ohm. Dual voice coils @ 4 ohm can be wired for a 1ohm or 4ohm load.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For example if the amp your going to buy will do 500 watts @ 1ohm....you need to make sure your subs can be wired for 1 ohm depending on the number of voice coils and how many ohms they are

So if your subs are dual voice coil 2ohm....your only going to run them at 2ohm or 8ohm. Dual voice coils @ 4 ohm can be wired for a 1ohm or 4ohm load.
Makes sence.. Would I be under powering the subs to much by just pushing 500w for the pair.. Or should I push the full 600? Would it make a difference?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Makes sence.. Would I be under powering the subs to much by just pushing 500w for the pair.. Or should I push the full 600? Would it make a difference?
The subs you got are rated 300 watts RMS...which is th e continous power handling....PEAK is 600 watts. I probably wouldnt run more than 500 to them...you wont notice a difference b etween 600 and 500 with the human ear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
so the guys at crutchfield said this amp was a good match for the p3sd210's

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065GTA...GTA-800m.html?tp=35834&tab=features_and_specs

he said i could adjust the gain to the subs so it wouldnt over power.. dunno if hes right... but any clues anyones? would this be ok..

with this wiring kit

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211ZN3K04/StreetWires-ZeroNoise-3-ZN3K-04.html?tp=2919
Ya you can lower the gain....but your still going to give them 800 watts..gain control is LOUDNESS not POWER control. I would not exceed the MAXIUM POWER rating of the subs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ya you can lower the gain....but your still going to give them 800 watts..gain control is LOUDNESS not POWER control. I would not exceed the MAXIUM POWER rating of the subs.
ooooo... i feel like a boot when it comes to subs/amps ... thanks for all ur help though...

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

if these were ur subs.. what would u power them with.. i just dont want to use those entry level amps .. i want something that would last/sound good.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610ZX500/Kicker-10ZX500-1.html?tp=35834&nvpair=FFBrand%7cAlpine&nvpair=FFBrand%7cBoston+Acoustics&nvpair=FFBrand%7cInfinity&nvpair=FFBrand%7cJL+Audio&nvpair=FFBrand%7cKicker&nvpair=FFBrand%7cMTX&nvpair=FFBrand%7cPioneer&nvpair=FFBrand%7cRockford+Fosgate&tab=features_and_specs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts