GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new here and in the process of exchanging my '98 Grand Cherokee (which I love) for something bigger. Family is growing and we really need more space for day long travels. We live in Sweden so there's also snowy roads to cope with. We're two grown ups and three teenagers plus a german shepheard (dog). Occasionally there's one ore two friends coming along. And of course luggage to everyone. (writing this it sounds more like we need a large bus!!!). Anyway, I'm now considering a Suburban or a Tahoe from '03. The Sub is absolutely marvellous inside and I think it would nicely accomodate us for most occasions. The Tahoe is better looking from the outside (my opinion) and I'v driven on for a year and liked it a lot on the road. Also in snowy conditions. The third row seat in the Tahoe is however just a big joke for longer trips whereas the third row comfort in the Sub is excellent.

But I have absolutely now driving experience from the Sub so now to my question: How is a Sub compared to a Tahoe from a pure driving perspective. It's a Z71 4x4 with the 5.3 L engine that I have in mind. I guess it's heavier than the Tahoe and worry a little that that will make it less responsive when accelerating. I also need good stability going rather fast (60 mph) through 4 - 8 inches of snow. How does that work with the longer Sub? (It doesn't have StabiliTrak as far as I know). I realise that it's harder to park in small spaces. But is the turning diameter enormous? And what about off road? Is it possible or will I get stuck first thing considering the longer wheel base?

Thankful for any tips.

Peter

·
Registered
533 Posts
not much difference with the burb and the hoe except 2.5 feet longer and if ur in a city parking can be a real pita LOL ....i have both and as for off roading not a problem as long as its a 4x4 i take them both out for a spin once in a while .

i just got upgraded to the 5 member family with my son deciding to appear in this world so i always choose the burb over the tahoe for room and cargo space
like i said that extra 2.5 feet comes in handy . i always find that the burb is great when you gotta haul family and who ever else that decides to invite themselves along ...you can do the same with the tahoe but when the third seat is up and you have only about of foot left of space for gear and other things. the tahoe and the burb are both good trucks you just need to decide on what the pros and cons are for each . the real biggest issue is that i find is parking when i'm taking the burb out i'm always parking further outward away so that i can fit but then again places like walmart you would want to park away anyways those idiots love playing crash derby with the shopping carts and banging doors . as for turning radius they both share the same front suspension within the same years of course .. the 5.3 is a good engine and plenty of torque so acceleration i found to be good in both , i also like the way the hoe looks but when it comes to common sense and how much gear i'm taking ...i'l go for the burb

good luck :)

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
My Wife drives a 2001 Suburban and it has been the best vehical she has owned as far as comfort, power, roomy, and ample cargo area. It handles very nice in the snow and the auto-traction control is a nice feature for patchy ice or snow. The models are virtually the same 2001-2003 and even though ours has the quad seating (second row captains chairs) it is very comfortable seating 7 plus ample room for cargo. I'm not sure about the Tahoe but I know with the rear seat down in Suburban you can haul sheets of plywood and with the seat out, you can sleep in the back while camping!

Welcome to the site and good luck with your upgrade!:great:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
About 204 vs 218" length-not much

I bought a 1998 Suburban-the older motor-but would have loved the 5.3-slightly better FE.I think the difference in length is more like 204 vs 218"-not very much considering what you have already discovered about the usefulness of the 3rd row seat.
I would go with the Suburban;the wt difference is barely 200 lbs,and the EPA FE are rated the same.Same story on building materials-Suburbans can carry 4x8'(or the metric equivalent) flat in the back with the tailgate closed.
The only reason to go with the Tahoe is if you have a parking problem-the Suburban won't fit in the garage.
Luck,
Charlie

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Having owned both models at the same time I can tell you there isnt a lot of difference when driving.
The Sub's extra room is invaluable.
The Sub is a little problematic when parking, and wont fit in most garages.
Either one is a great vehicle, but the Sub offers a little more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, parking gets a little used to but there really isn't much of a difference driving wise between the tahoe and sub. You are gaining a lot of useful room in the sub! Highly recommended.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank's everyone. I really appreciate your viewpoints. They seem to point in the same direction and I feel much more comfortable now going for a burb.

Be back later with all the newbie questions!

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts