GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay yeh im a ******* but i like my music loud n to hit hard so lol if ne one can help it'd be great ok around the august time frame im completly revamping my audio system(even tho i have the Bose option already lol)head unit, speakers, tweeters, and some new subs. i found in crutchfield these new shallow subs by kenwood n they look like a good buy but wut i was wondering is if i install 2 15" subs in the back and 2 12" subs in the front and a 10" under the console would i have to reinforce my glass? (and yes i have already began installing duble batteries and alternaters and order 3 500watt amps to power the system lol:biggrin: )thnx for any advice:great:

·
Registered
1 Posts
it would depend on how many DB's youll be running at. From what it sounds like, with only running 500 watt subs, i would assume that you would be ok, especially considering the flat sub was made to fill sound, blow the mind away. I would assume that you would have no problems, but defiantely would look into some dynomat to prevent some major rattles.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Dam dude you are going to need ear plugs just to listen to that much wattage.

Bullet proof glass might be a good investment too.

Just kidding.

Ahh to be young and foolish again.

Really can’t help with the equipment for your upgrades but I would consider that the Bose head unit may be a keeper. Considering it was top of the line factory anyway.

Unless you are going to get something with a lot more power and options. I would stick with the original head unit and add the amps you need to power the subs.

I still miss my old factory AM/FM/CB/cassette unit in my 80 Impala wagon. It was great for trips. But alas the thing lost a channel after many years. That and we retired the wagon for the 86 Burb.

The younger guys on here will be of more help to you on your stereo upgrades than us old fogies so I will leave it in their more capable hands.

Good luck and, in your case I will say,

keep it in the ditches.

Seeing this monster looks like its made more for off rode than pavement.

·
Registered
233 Posts
All i have to say is WOW, i have a reg cab silverado, and all i have is a 10" pioneer shallowmount with a 300rms mono block rockford fosgate amp, and i go half deaf when i blast it. I wouldnt worry to much on your windshield, it sould be ok, but the rear glass, especially if thats where the 2 15" will be located, id reccomend getting plexi or somrthing stronger than stock, i worry some days that mine will break with a ten lol. Get some pictures of that setup on here if you dont mind. Oh and you probably want to dynamat the whole truck, but if you dont your gonna at least have to dynamat the rear plastic cover that covers where the glass ends and carpet begins (also where your car seat hooks are located, the middle of that cover doesnt have clips so she really rattles.

and also if you dont mind again take some pics of your double battery and alternator setup

·
Super Moderator
3,391 Posts
If you want mind rumbling and house rattling bass, I'd suggest going with a pair of JL Audio 10W7s, or 12W7s. The W6 and W7 line of subs from JL Audio have so much kick, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't shatter your rear windows with a pair running. I am personally an advocate of smaller subs, since they are better and hitting those nice tight bass notes. I listen to rock though, so boom is not what I need.
For amps, I'd suggest some Clif Designs amps. They are the Linksys of car audio. I own a Clif Designs 600 watt amp dumping into a pair of sony Xplod 10s in a sealed box and I can contend with 12 RF subs pushed by 800 watts or more of power. I will eventually move up to JL subs when I get the chance and the money...

For a head unit, I'd probably stick with either a Sony or a Pioneer head. I have a "classic" Sony CD player with a 7-band EQ (very crucial) and 3 sets of preamps (also very crucial). Unfortunately, you can't seem to find more that 3-band EQs nowadays. ok, time for me to get off my soapbox... :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
you dont have near enough air space in that truck to run that many subs.
and no you dont have to worry about cracking your glass unless you push over 150 or so dbs which with 1500 watts you wont be hitting near that.
you will have to ride around with your windows down all the time to get any real sound out of those subs. the most you want to go in a truck is 2 15's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts