GM Truck Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 4x4 LT AUTORIDE makes a loud popping noise from time to time when the vehicle is shut off. I always thought it was either the gas tank or exhaust because it sounds like sheetmetal. Does anyone know what this sound is really coming from? Thanks Brodie

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Is it one pop or a series of pops. If it is a series of pops that have a pinging sound, it is most likely the catalytic converter cooling off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is the muffler. I have replaced alot of exhaust systems under warranty for the same condition. If you do not want to spend the money for a new exhaust system, smack the muffler in the center with a large mallet, enough to dent the housing, this will stop the noise for a while, but it will eventually return

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
A proper bashing

jack77 said:
It is the muffler. I have replaced alot of exhaust systems under warranty for the same condition. If you do not want to spend the money for a new exhaust system, smack the muffler in the center with a large mallet, enough to dent the housing, this will stop the noise for a while, but it will eventually return
The old bang it with a mallet trick. lol.
I had a neighbor who couldn't get his ford started on cold mornings without banging the fender with a tire iron. It had an ugly looking fender but it always started when properly bashed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
RE: A proper bashing

Hmmm... maybe he shoulda spent 20 bux and replaced the starter relay on the inside of the fender...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Re: RE: A proper bashing

moogvo said:
Hmmm... maybe he shoulda spent 20 bux and replaced the starter relay on the inside of the fender...

You are right, but I think he enjoyed giving the car a good thrashing once and awhile. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.