GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a convo with Curt (curtolson) who's been asking if he should do this:

I am strongly considering purchasing on monday a 1995 K2500 w/454 it has 156,000. Looks to be in good shape I will have the drives seat reskined as the leather is well worn. Most of the people I work with say that has too many miles. I pulled a carfax and spoke with the seller it appears to be well mantained. Tennesse does not have much salt use. The truck will be inspected be for purchased for $6000. I would love to hear what you think as this is a big purchase for use. Too old to many miles ? What are the weak links? How long to the monster stay health?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For me, I don't think it's too many miles, but then I don't mind working on my vehicles either.

However, I woudn't buy it to commute with as an in-city daily driver either. The 454 (7.4L) is a beast of a big-block, but it's so big that it tears itself apart. Every year they get strong and stronger, but it will need some work. Trucks and SUVs have a much longer life than a car does, simply becuase people put money back into them and they serve use for tradesmen after that until they're dead.

The KBB values that I see show the vehicle being worth a touch less than $6K. However, if it's a cherry with a lot of extras, then it can be a good deal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm with Steve. If its not a daily driver it sounds like a good buy. My '96 had 153,000 miles when I bought it in '04 for $5,000. I like to tinker and do the work I can so I have enjoyed that part of it. My burb was in good condition when I bought it and is in even better shape now with TLC.

If you are looking at daily driving for work then of course gas mileage will kill you. Brakes also go fast on these huge SUVs and are an expensive repair unless you do it yourself. Even small things like oil changes on the 7.4L will cost more because they use 7 qrts instead of 5 qrts.

That's my 2 cents.

Roger

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you get a photo of it, post it up in the photo gallery and link to it in here.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
My 94 has 199,000+ miles and I have no probelms with it being a daily driver, but then it’s a 350.

The 454 was made for WORKING.

·
Registered
404 Posts
High miles in a truck/suv aren't a death sentence like on a gas powered car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you guys. I did purchase the truck. The local shop went over the truck. EX manifold wrapped will be milled to fix. Brakes front 75% good 90% rears, tires 90%. Happy as hell. I bought it for me but the wife wants it to be her truck now. The k2500 is all male. It is for the family. Kids love it's huge inside. We just out grew the durango. I will purchased nurf bars to help the kids enter the rear. I will have the drivers seat redone; leather is good but needs slight repair.
I don't think it will wear as much if it has nurf bars. The truck drives so well I can't believe how well it handles for it's size. I am going to put about $1000- 2000 in goodies just because I am so impressed with this beast. The suburban is such a good value I must question the blue book or the average consumer who justifies such pricing. The gas please; it weigths 8600lbs. Now thats 8600lbs of safety for my family. That's priceless.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amen! I've been in a wreck in my Suburban before and walked away like I hit a speep bump too hard. You're definately inside a big cage in the burban.

·
Registered
28 Posts
curtolson said:
Thank you guys. I did purchase the truck. The local shop went over the truck. EX manifold wrapped will be milled to fix. Brakes front 75% good 90% rears, tires 90%. Happy as hell. I bought it for me but the wife wants it to be her truck now. The k2500 is all male. It is for the family. Kids love it's huge inside. We just out grew the durango. I will purchased nurf bars to help the kids enter the rear. I will have the drivers seat redone; leather is good but needs slight repair.
I don't think it will wear as much if it has nurf bars. The truck drives so well I can't believe how well it handles for it's size. I am going to put about $1000- 2000 in goodies just because I am so impressed with this beast. The suburban is such a good value I must question the blue book or the average consumer who justifies such pricing. The gas please; it weigths 8600lbs. Now thats 8600lbs of safety for my family. That's priceless.
CONGRATS on your purchase!

I just purchased my 1993 C1500 about a week ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. It, as you pointed out, handles well for its size, and parking isn't nearly as much of a challenge I thought it would be for its size.

Congrats again!

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
1993 Choo Choo suburban

I'm purchasing a 1993 c1500 Choo choo edition suburban 350 150,000 miles, 2 wheel drive, loaded interior tv, vcr wood grain dash and trim, Ground effects aluminum rims. I was wondering if anyone knew what trany is in the truck is it a turbo 400LE or a 700R4? Also has anyone seen one of these special edition suburban my Brother bought it used and the guy he got it from said he bought it new from chevy with the custom work already done and i never heard of this editon before. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I'm purchasing a 1993 c1500 Choo choo edition suburban 350 150,000 miles, 2 wheel drive, loaded interior tv, vcr wood grain dash and trim, Ground effects aluminum rims. I was wondering if anyone knew what trany is in the truck is it a turbo 400LE or a 700R4? Also has anyone seen one of these special edition suburban my Brother bought it used and the guy he got it from said he bought it new from chevy with the custom work already done and i never heard of this editon before. Thanks
I think the 700

Look in the glove box and it will have all the options listed.

I forget what the code is for the tranys, anyone?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts