GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2004 Suburban and notice that the entire vehicle vibrates when sitting in traffic. It is not stalling or running rough, it just seems to vibrate more than at other times when stopped in traffic, in or out of park. I can feel it through the steering wheel and the brake pedal. Is this normal for these trucks?

Thnaks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2004 Suburban and notice that the entire vehicle vibrates when sitting in traffic. It is not stalling or running rough, it just seems to vibrate more than at other times when stopped in traffic, in or out of park. I can feel it through the steering wheel and the brake pedal. Is this normal for these trucks?

Thnaks
Welcome. No I would say thats not normal. 04 you should be able to put a glass of water on intake and barely get a ripple in water :lol: I would say somethings a miss on the tune up side. I would have it on scanner to check parameters are ok. (There maybe a baseline software update.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mechanic

I had the car checked out by a mechanic and he said everything was normal. I don't think he did a diagnostic on the computer so I am not sure.
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Engine

The vibration seems to be the engine running rough. What I feel through the floor boards and pedals is exactly how the car is running. I pot my hand on the engine and it seems to be the cause of the vibration. At 50,000 miles, should I consider a complete tune-up?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
At this point you don't really have much choice. Unless you want to wait till your teeth start rattling in your head or the truck quits on you, whatever comes first. Just kidding.
Suburban is already chewing thru gas it doesn't need any more help :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Not stalling or running rough, hm

Transition maybe, loose fly wheel bolts would cause a vibration in a case like this. Maybe. Or a flywheel out of balance.

Just a thought. I have been known to be wrong, once.

Good luck, because it could also be just a plug wire , but a misfire would show up on the tack and the idle would be rough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
?

Thanks for the responses. I am trinyg to figure out how to describe the vibration. It is a high frequency low intensity vibration. It happens in or out of gear. It makes the bottom of my feet tingle as it come through the floor boars and the whole truck vibrates the same way. If I put my hand on top of the dash board I can feel it.

Thanbks again for the responses.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Broken motor mount?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Yeah, I re-read, it's likely NOT the motor mounts. I'm used to older vehicles and I've experienced this before from a broken one.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Oh Steve your showing your age! Like the old 350's had cross fire between cylinder 5/7 if wires were to close.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thnaks for all the responses

I dropped the truck off at the dealer and they called me to say they replaced a transmission mount. This did not stop the vibration. The dealer said they don't know what is causing it because it doesn't hapen all the time. It seems to start when the the motor warms up. Hopefully they will figure it out.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I dropped the truck off at the dealer and they called me to say they replaced a transmission mount. This did not stop the vibration. The dealer said they don't know what is causing it because it doesn't hapen all the time. It seems to start when the the motor warms up. Hopefully they will figure it out.
uhm what did they charge you to do that, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Warranty

The dealer said nothing. Which surprised me because it is a used vehicle and this is not covered by the warranty. I just hope they figure out what is causing the vibration.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The dealer said nothing. Which surprised me because it is a used vehicle and this is not covered by the warranty. I just hope they figure out what is causing the vibration.
This type of "troubleshooting" is unacceptable to me. Throwing parts at a problem to your expense, is not cool. I'm a technician myself in the cable industry. Some guys at work do that and it drives me crazy...find fault thru troubleshooting then replace part.
In conclusion I would maybe consider trying another dealer "IF" they do start charging for these repairs.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
This type of "troubleshooting" is unacceptable to me. Throwing parts at a problem to your expense, is not cool. I'm a technician myself in the cable industry. Some guys at work do that and it drives me crazy...find fault thru troubleshooting then replace part.
In conclusion I would maybe consider trying another dealer "IF" they do start charging for these repairs.
It’s possible the trany mount was gone, because of a weight being lost, ask if they dropped the trany pan. It is just possible a weight fell off the fly wheel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up the Truck

OK,

I just picked up the truck and the dealer said the Throttle Body had to be cleaned the Power Trans Something or other had to be reprogramed. The truck seems to be running a little better but not much. Anyone have any idea what they are talking about?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Better Explanation

The car is definitely still running off. The door locks have a mind of their own and keep locking twice, once when I start the car and once when I put it into gear. The vibration comes in cycles. If anyone ever owned an old car with a warn out motor. It's like turning the AC on and the whole car cycles trough shaking. If anyone has any idea what could cause this I'd really appreciate it. Turning the AC on seems to make the car shake more.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Having the AC turned on takes more power for the engine to cycle and charge the compressor. Did you pop the hood and see if the engine shakes? Have they tested for compression and spark in all of the wires? How many miles again?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts