GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First small mod i did to the pickup was adding the factory Homelink. I really missed having it in my 2008 GMC Sierra so I had to do it first. I bought the new console online. It's a little darker grey then mine but it's now the same color of my dash plastics. It's from a 2005 Sierra Denali pickup I guess. I removed the OnStar mic because i dont see the point of it being there if I dont have OnStar. Here are the pics...

Here is my original overhead console.

This is the only screw you have to remove, the hole in the back.

Here is the inside of the original console.

Here is the inside of the new console. You can see the Homelink box and OnStar mic.

Here is the hole it created when removed and the only plug that is used.

The new one all plugged in and put back in place. Notice there is no mic. It looks great and works perfect.

I know it's not the toughest mod but I like the factory look so I didn't want to hack it up. Turned out great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So, after playing with the Homelink for a while i realized that the buttons only worked if I turned on one of the map lights first. Also, discovered that the map lights didn't come on anymore when you opened the door. If you can see in the previously posted pictures the map lights were wired differently in the two consoles so here is what I did.

1) I gutted both consoles and swapped out the lights with the harnesses intact.
2) I cut the Homelink harness off of the new console and wired it inline with the old consoles orange (power), black (ground), and grey (light override dash button) wires in the old harness.
3) Put it all back together and....

AWESOME!!!!

Works like a charm...funny thing is there are green lights that light up in the Homelink buttons too...who knew! They only light up when the door is open or I turn on the overhead lights from the rolling switch on the dash but still cool.

I hope this helps to anyone that might do this mod. Super easy wiring too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts