GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome,
Any mods currently on your truck? Superchargers are good choice, but personally i'd rather keep it naturally aspirated and work on the internals like cam/heads/pistons ect... If you still want more power, a supercharger is always still available...

Other option is to pick up a GM performance crate motor for almost the same price as the supercharger...

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
How many miles on your truck? You don't want to add a supercharger to a engine with high miles. Also what motor do you have?

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I'm like HotRod, I like head work and cams. If you have a 4.8 or 5.3 you can bore and stroke them to a 6.3 (383).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome,
Any mods currently on your truck? Superchargers are good choice, but personally i'd rather keep it naturally aspirated and work on the internals like cam/heads/pistons ect... If you still want more power, a supercharger is always still available...

Other option is to pick up a GM performance crate motor for almost the same price as the supercharger...
Currently the only thing on the truck is the K&N cold air intake

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

How many miles on your truck? You don't want to add a supercharger to a engine with high miles. Also what motor do you have?

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I'm like HotRod, I like head work and cams. If you have a 4.8 or 5.3 you can bore and stroke them to a 6.3 (383).
My truck has just rolled over 70k. It is a 5.3. If i do the boring it outhow much will that be running? I have given it a thought.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Can't tell you a price for boring the block. Find a machine shop that has experiance with the new LS type engine blocks and they should be able to give you a price. Your 5.3 has a 96mm bore, you can bore it to 99mm and it would be a 5.7. Add a 4" stroker crank with the 99mm bore and you have a 6.3 (383). Add some larger valves, pocket porting,gasket port match the intake and exhaust ports, mild cam and you have a nice dependable engine with good torque for daily driving.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hey guy's how hard would it be to put a 6.6 liter duramax engine in a 1500 and would this even work i been thinking about doin this in the future way down the road. I know i would have to add bigger rearend and everything else but would this even be worth it?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Its cheaper to trade your truck for a duramax. All the work to be done would cost more than a new duramax.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
yeah i actually plan on trading my truck for one in a few years or maybe sooner. I might just pay it off and like a year later trade it in for a new 2500hd cause i want a 6.6 liter duramax since i have never owned a diesel before!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never seen anyone mod a vehicle and come out "ahead" financially. You may save a lot doing it yourself if you have the time/tools/facilities. Silveradotrailblazer was right that you'd be better off trading up. A s/c 1500 would be badass though. My buddy had a 2500 with a Banks aftermarket kit with 3 boost settings. Can you say haul a$$? You should be able to find something 4-5 yrs old like that under $20k especially with everyone downsizing right now.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
yeah i only had my truck for 2 1/2 years and i only owe $10,000k on it and bought it new in 2008 for $32,000k so i have done good for this being only my second truck and first new one! I just would rather have a diesel compared to a gas burner now a diesel theres really no way to rag it out driving its made to be worked hard when a 1500 on the other hand can really get messed up driving. My buddy has a 06 2500hd and i like it allot he has a chip intake and exhaust and it's lifted 6 inches with 37's and it runs as it did stock or better being a gas burner me lifting it and all made it slower but i havent really added any motor work or mods but i want a 2011 silverado whenever i get this one paid off so my credit is good enough to buy one on my own lol!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Lord have mercy son, why would you want a diesel conversion. The list of problems and customization would be huge. But if your looking, i'd recommend the 12v cummins, its a simple engine that bullet proof. I've seen people stuff those cummins in everything from Vettes to ford rangers. They are also pretty simple to work on and dont have alot of the newer emissions crap that fills the engine bay of the new diesels.

I would probably keep the truck you have, and buy an older project truck thats diesel, the new will wear off that diesel pretty [email protected] quick. Why get into another truck note when you have one paid off....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Yeah man i guess your right bud. I will prob pay it off and was thinking about selling it out right not to the dealership they will rip you off! I guess i could buy a older model chevy diesel with a 6.6 turbo engine just need to find one cheap then ha.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't tell you a price for boring the block. Find a machine shop that has experiance with the new LS type engine blocks and they should be able to give you a price. Your 5.3 has a 96mm bore, you can bore it to 99mm and it would be a 5.7. Add a 4" stroker crank with the 99mm bore and you have a 6.3 (383). Add some larger valves, pocket porting,gasket port match the intake and exhaust ports, mild cam and you have a nice dependable engine with good torque for daily driving.
Im just not sure that doing that will give me what im looking for. Im just thinking if i wanna spend that kind of money i should go with the supercharger, more bang for my buck i believe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i would do full bolt ons, a cam and stall. prob be as fast if not quicker than a SC and probably cheaper....?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
bolt ons = bolt on parts. I.E. headers and the like, not tearing into the engine to to valves, pistons, boring and the like.

thats what ive always taken it to mean anyways.

Alex

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Bolt-ons are usually things like CAI, ported throttlebody and intake, camshaft maybe some head work, transmission upgrades and a good torque converter. A good aftermarket torque converter like a Yank converter will make a performance differance in a stock or mildly mod truck. There easy to install, just drop the transmission.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Yank Converters.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts