GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Yukon 4WD and when I take off it makes a clunk noise but also does it when i come to a stop. The noise comes from the rear area of the truck. Has anyone heard of the leaf springs binding or the bushings sticking? I am at a loss.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I HAVE A 97 2DR. I HAVE THE SAME THING. ITS BEEN DOING IT SINCE I BOUGHT IT WITH 24,000 MI. SOME ONE TOLD ME IT WAS THE LEAF SPRINGS BUT I NEVER CONFIRMED IT. IM AT 100,000 MI NOW AND IT NEVER CREATED A MAJOR PROBLEM HOWVER I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FOR SURE. ANYONE KNOW?? IS IT THE PADS IN THE LEAFS???? ANYONE......BUELLER???? BUELLER????

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
It's hard to tell, but those are not the same message, they'e two different messages.

·
Registered
12 Posts
MY PROBLEM SOUNDS MORE LIKE WHAT WAS SAID ABOUT THE REAR LOCKER MAKING A CLUNK FEEL. I DONT HEAR A CLANG LIKE METAL TO METAL. FEELS MORE LIKE A SHIFTING OF SOME KIND DURING INTITIAL TAKEOFF DURING WEIGHT TRANSFER. HOW CAN YOU TELL IF ITS A LOCKER????? :roll:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm

No mine is definately not in the rear gears. I just replaced my U-joints and checked the differential and found no problems in there. What i feel and hear is definately something binding. It does it when I take off and when I stop. When coming to a stop I feel it when the weight gets redistributed back to the rear. I am taking it apart this weekend and will report back on Monday.

I have the delima now if I want to lower it or raise it up. I like both looks but I am still up in the air. Anyone out there have a lowered or raised 4x4?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had the same problem on my 2000 z71 at 100k miles. dealer replaced some parts in the differential but not exactly sure what. do recall him telling me that this was a common problem and that gm had redesigned some parts to eliminate the problem. either way they did fix it. cost approx. 500.00

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found it

Well I took apart the rear suspension this past weekend and found that the bushings on the leaf springs were binding up and the leaf springs were very dry. I replaced the bushings and repacked the rear springs with grease and the problem went away. Now my ride is much more compliant!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts