GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about using Synthetic oil in my 08 5.3L wen it comes.
Are any of u guys using it?
Is it as good as they say?
any info would be appreciated:great:

·
Registered
170 Posts
It is great in a new car. You should not use it in a car that has been running on standard oil though, as it will cause leaks. For a new car, if you switch to it, it will help with engine durability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also, if you start using synthetic, you can't stop using it... Same thing will happen as skarch said... it will cause leaks. It can also ruin seals if you go back to regular oil.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You will want to drive for about your first 2 oil changes on regular oil thou. It gets hotter (Which is why syn is better) and it will help to set seals and such better. After you get about 6-10K on the truck I would then switch to synthetic and never change again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
im at 3900 now and was going to do an oil change and switch to synthetic and noticed a leak :( needed a whole new pan (yay warranty) so im going to wait till about 6k to change i am going with Royal Purple and the Fram Extended Guard 7k oil filter and air filter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
IMHO, the Royal Purple is way too expensive unless you are running a severe duty truck or a track car. I have used the Mobil 1 full syn and it has worked great, and it considerably cheaper. Also, I hate Fram filters, they routinely fail the manufacturers specs for filters. Go with a true premium filter, or get a OEM one, as the Frams are usually not as good. The fram for my GTI is about 20% worse than a OEM.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Mobil I SYN $20 5 QTS WALMART

You might want to consider Mobil I syn.It is $20 5 qts at walmart.Mobil I also makes great claims for their $10 filter-I have seen some posting from a guy who claimed he tested the mobil 1 filter,and it "was the best.".Lotta $ for a filter, but there are lots of postings slamming fram's cheapest filters(fall apart). Purolator's,and Delco's good filters are supposed to be pretty good also.
Mobil 1 disputes the "don't switch back and forth,don't use in older cars" statements.They make a 10w30 High mileage Mobil 1.I guess I sould like I'm shilling for Mobil 1;I really don't know if it is actually better-I use it, but never tested it-.I'm just repeating the stuff that I read and believed.
I do remember that a Graffite syn oil from about 30 years ago was infamous for leaking by every gasket and seal.It was a syn with graffite suspened in it.Look like hell to have this really black stuff leaking from your cases( we used it on motorcycles).
Luck,
Charlie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking

Thanx 4 the info guys.I have a little time yet to think about wat to use, maybe i should stick with Castrol 5w30 conventional oil,i used it in my 96 silverado for years.plus i change my oil way earlier than the specs say to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Royal Purple

I have to agree that the royal purple oil is just way to expensive. I used it way back when and really wasn't impressed with it, nor did I see any type of improvement with it. I switched back over to mobil 1 synthetic shortly thereafter. In my opinion Royal purple just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used synthetic in my 2005 Silverado since new - first oil/filter change. Had zero problems, now have 35,000 miles. I researched before hand and found that the old myths don't apply anymore.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanx 4 the info guys.I have a little time yet to think about wat to use, maybe i should stick with Castrol 5w30 conventional oil,i used it in my 96 silverado for years.plus i change my oil way earlier than the specs say to.
You might want to go to the Castrol web page, or call their 1800 number and find out about their zinc, level. I think it was at .083%. And find out what Zinc is for. Start up is the damage. No oil preasure. Zinc helps fight that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Amsoil

I run Amsoil 0w30 and their nano oil filter. I've got 7500 miles on this oil and just changed the filter and topped it off. I'm going for 15k before dumping it. The Amsoil Rep that comes to my shop is a friend so he does my oil analysis for me. The oil after 7500 miles is still good as new and there have been no changes in any of the pollutants in the oil.
I dumped my diffs and put in sever gear gear oil. And in a few more miles, I'm switching to amsoil ATF.
No leaks, no problems...
I ran thier diesel oil and filters in my blazer after 100k of conventional oil usage with 0 problems too..I honestly think the truck ran better with the synthetic oil...The oil was cleaner (less soot) the turbo didn't get "coked up"..Cold starts were easier.
I run Amsoil in my bikes too. For everything...New, old, rebuilt...Never had an issue.
I learn something new each day Rob comes to my shop. Did you know that there is no regulation, rule, or law that says what can and can not be called "synthetic"? If I'm not mistaken, Amsoil, mobil 1, and Rotella are the ony true fully synthetic oils out there. Many brands claim to be syntetic, but are castor based..
Check out the Amsoil site for more info..you'll be surprised to learn whats good and whats not...And you might change your mind about synthetics...

I do not work for, never have, and probably never will work for amsoil...I just trust thier products. :great:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think that GM requires synthetic blend in all of its truck engines since 03? at least it has been shown as a type use in my 03 and 07 Burbs

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just hit 1500 in my 2007 NBS Silverado crew, and replaced the oil with Amsoil. I have two friends that swear by it, one is a dealer. I will be replacing my oil in my 2007 Yamaha V-Star and 2007 Dodge Charger with Amsoil when I take them out of winter storage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mobil 1

I have run Mobil 1 in my last three trucks, so that covers around a dozen years. And, have run for longer in various cars. My ZR2 was switched to Mobil 1 at 1,000 miles and when I sold it at 94,000 miles the motor was tight as a drum. No problem, strong as the day I bought it, minimal oil consumption (never changed from new). Will wait probably 2,500 miles on the new 1500 for the rings to seat and then will switch over to Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter.

CT Greg
08 Silverado 1500

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm running Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W40 in my '02 Silverado because it still contains zinc (ZDTP) as a anti wear agent.
I also currently run in in my wife's '03 Trailblazer , her '01 Corvette and my '88 Corvette.
I have previously run Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Horsepower and Mobil 1 (all5W30) in these three vehicles. None have leaks.

There are a lot of urban myths about Synthetic oil. It does not cause leaks and you can switch back and forth between it and regular engine oils.
Synthetic oils have more detergents in them so they can hold combustion by-products in suspension longer and thereby provide a longer drain interval.
This higher level of detergency cleans up the engine removing deposits that may have plugged old leaks. Thus a synthetic oil might unplug an old leak, but it does not create new leaks.

I have never been able to personally justify the price of exotic or boutique oils

For filters I use either Mobil1, Baldwin, Wix or Napa Gold on the trucks. On the Corvettes I also will use K&N filters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts