GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had asked this question a while back and no one responded so I'll ask again. Is there a thread somewhere that tells how to check the TPS readings or what the reading should be. My HOE has the 4.8L engine and it seems that while applying power on the road, it seems to flatten out during the acceleration. I'm sure this could be many things but I'd really like to make sure the TPS is set correctly. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
That could be a number of things (I take it there is no SES code) Like Mass flow or cam sensor or plugged cat. What was your mileage again, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
1,567 Posts
I haven't worked on my Suburban, but Haynes indicates that the TPS on these is a typical TPS -- basically a simple potentiometer (variable resistor).

1st thing I would do to check any engine management component would be to put a scanner on it and see if there are any DTC's stored that point to that component. With the right scanner, you would also be able to see what signal the PCM is seeing from the TPS. To test the TPS with an ohmmeter, simply hook up the ohmmeter to the correct leads (get a wiring diagram) and see if you get a reasonable resistance from the TPS. I'm not sure exactly what it should be. Then make sure that the resistance increases/decreases smoothly throughout the TPS's motion range. If there is a reasonable resistance, and the resistance changes smoothly, then the TPS is likely good.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I forget exactly what the readings are supposed to be measured in milovolts (SP). As said above it should be a smooth transition from idle to full throttle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It ranges between 5 volts at wot and 0v at closed throttle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts