GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, pretty new to the site, looking for some advice. I just bought a 96 tahoe with the 5.7. Going to take it for a cruise to get some parts, and it won't go above 35-40 mph. Engine races when I hit that point. I know it has a random misfire code, 0300. Any ideas, am I looking at a new tranny? A friend told me about possibly replacing a shift solenoid. This is my first truck, so not really sure what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. As caddiac said get it scanned. Try to find a scanner that also scans the transmission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I unfortunately am the only person I know with a scanner, and it seems to not to tranny codes. but I know its a cylinder 2 misfire, and I'm giving it a tuneup on tuesday. Found out I am able to drive normally in second if that helps any

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
sounds like a tranny problem to me !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it has 281000 on the truck, at this point I'm assuming it has never been rebuilt. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I've never done transmission work. Is it something I should have a shop do, or something I can do at home?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts