GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this may be a very lame subject, but does anyone else ever have problems reading the trans fluid level? I flushed my fluid, changed filter, etc. poured new fluid in as old fluid flushed out the return (top) of cooler.

Anyway now trying to determine fluid level is like hearding chickens. First I read very high at cold temp. It was way above HOT crosshatch level. I pumped out about 3/4 gallon and got it to the top of COLD crosshatch. Ok perfect!!

NOT - I then cranked and let it idle for a few minutes until it reached operating temp, but now it’s not reading at all. It’s showing bone dry? I thought it was supposed to show higher once HOT? Should be in HOT crosshatch right?

what gives?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone having this issue let me share how I think I figured it out. The 2004 Tahoe LT does not have a Trans Temp display. The manual just said crank, shift through gears, return to park. Let idle for 3 minutes and Check HOT level.

My 07 Silverado has a trans temp display. The manual has same directions but adds to drive vehicle until trans temp is between 160-200 degrees. After idling for 5 minutes trans was only 80 degrees. I drove it 2 miles away and turned around at 150 degrees, drove back and when arriving home temp was 175 degrees. Fluid was low so I added 1 pint (or less) and it measured spot on..

Using this same process I drove my Tahoe the same route and mileage. I could not see the trans temp but both are same 4L60E. I adjusted level and feel confident it’s good.
Takeaway is you need to drive a few miles to ensure your trans is warmed up to 200 degrees. Else it will read low. Idling per manual won’t work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts