GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone, hoping someone here can help with this issue as it seems to be a little unique. My tailgate is stuck closed but the plastic clips and handle mechanism are all just fine. One of the rods (driver side) has become disconnected at the latch and I'm clueless on what to do.

Hoping someone has some tips before I resort to taking a sledgehammer or sawzall to it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pickup or what? Take a coat hanger small hook on end and grab it
Yeah, 01 Sierra. Getting ahold of the rod isn't a problem, it's attached at the handle, and the plastic clips that are so notorious for breaking are just fine. Somehow it has came free on the tail light side and I'm clueless how to reattach it with the tailgate shut.

Perhaps using a sawzall and cutting through the striker is my only option but I thought there might be some trick to release the latch, kinda like jimmying a door lock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can be jimmyed like bathroom door yes from inside of bed then unbolt it to replace clip

Anyone out there have a link for a diagram? Can't tell ya how many hours I've spent and object's I've tried to wedge in there with no luck breaking it free.

Leaning towards borrowing a sawzall and hackin through the striker bar

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry gave Wrong info....Cannot be popped like bathroom door. You have to go in thru handle opening with long hook. To release latch. Tailgate pin is to close to latch to cut with saw. Hook the best way to go. Again sorry for wrong info was looking at my old truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tail gate latch is almost like your door latch.take you door panel off at look at that. Pull on handle while you are looking inside.You can get idea of what you can do
Here's a good image that I've found. Can't imagine that I'll ever be able to hook that little hole, or that a coat hanger would have the strength to pull it free before straightening out. Maybe I'll try disconnecting the rod from the handle, removing the busted tab... sitting down was six pack of beer and trying to fish for that little hole
IMG_3508_01.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a good image that I've found. Can't imagine that I'll ever be able to hook that little hole, or that a coat hanger would have the strength to pull it free before straightening out. Maybe I'll try disconnecting the rod from the handle, removing the busted tab... sitting down was six pack of beer and trying to fish for that little hole
View attachment 96282
Just got mine unlatched thanks to the pic you posted. THANK YOU! I was able to use the existing rod in the tailgate and fish around and finally fell into that hole on the latch. It took several frustrating tries but finally fell into it luckily and was able to open the tailgate. I am now operating the gate with only one latch until I can get another latch. Thanks for your helpful post and pic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts