GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the stock 245-65-17 tires with 265-65-17 tires? Any clearance or speedo issues?

I am planning on replacing the stock BF Goodrich Rugged Trails with the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOS in a 265-65-17 size.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
From what I understand, the speedo is all computerized and is programmable based on tire-size. Now, that being said. I'm still on the stock tires from the factory, so I can't speak to the process.

Anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just puchased a 2003 TB today with 33K miles (yup -- newbies!). We like the truck, and bought in instead of the Avalanche we had been looking at for price and mileage.

As a part of the puchase package, we insisted that they change out the tires for Brigestone Duelers in the 265 size (they were on another TB sitting along side the one we bought and only had 300 miles on them!). The tires fit perfect, and are a good upgrade versus the stock ones (less of that squirmy feeling in corners, etc.).

My family are AVID off-roaders and the TB will be our tow rig for our Ranger rock crawler, so we wanted the more aggressive tires to get us into and out of some of the places where we trailer, plus some advantages in snow, etc.

I'd say the tires are a definate improvement in looks and performance. What I'm not sure about as yet is the speedo issue... Anyone know how to reprogram it? Can that be done with a good scanner?

Here is a pic of one of my trail rigs:

·
Registered
6 Posts
We found (using a GPS) that our speed was indeed off after installing the larger tires. Now I'm on a hunt to figure out how to recalibrate the speedo.

Otherwise, no issues whatsoever from the larger rubber. We made about 750 miles on our trip to Gatlinburg over the weekend, including some twisty steep mountain driving, and the tires held very well. On the way home, we got involved in those huge thunderstorms going across Northern Kentucky, and the tires were still impressive in the hard rain... We'' hopefully get to report about their snow and ice capability soon... :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
FYI, the only way to reprogramm the speedo is have the dealer (or anyone with a Tech-II scanner) reprogramm it. Also, if you get a Westers tune, they can set the tire size to the upgraded tires for you. I think the best bet is to go to the dealer and make them reprogramm it for you. Should only take them a few min.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts