GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty tired 350 in my '94 Suburban. It's carried me over 225k miles and has lost a few steps over the years. I'd like to rebuild/replace the 350 in favor of a 383. I see GM offers a crate engine for 96 and newer vortec engines and I've seen a few for pre-'85 replacement. If I go the replacement route, other than the intake and heads, are there differences in the block I need to be aware of?

Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I would go with the '96-'99 HT383E, part # 17800383 and upgrade my F.I. system and computer. Theres lots of them in good recycling yards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been thinking about that. From what I've read, I'd need to change the fuel pump and everything associated with fuel delivery and management. If I had a parts truck to pull from I might be willing to make that swap. I really only use the Sub for my "heavy lifting" now with gas prices what they are. I'll probably go find a TBI motor and build it up. With limited time and funds, I need to keep it simple. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I didn't know they ran 383 motors during the late 90's? What did they originally come in?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I WOULD GO DIESEL !!!!!! more power, better milage and also a direct fit !

·
Registered
191 Posts
X2 on the Diesel. Even thou diesel is higher at the pump, you can usually find a good cummins 4bt or 6bt on craigs list for a pretty good price. You would have crazy amounts of torque and better mileage BUT nothing sounds better that a built V8 gas motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still doing my research on an engine swap. Can anyone tell me if the stock computer will run a mildly built 383 or will I need to have a new chip burned? The ODB 1 only monitors and controls fuel and spark, right?
Also...the "donor" truck is a '91 K2500. I'm pulling the whole drive train (less the front axle, already gone). Do any of you know for sure what the transmission is? 700R-4 or 4L80E???

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm still doing my research on an engine swap. Can anyone tell me if the stock computer will run a mildly built 383 or will I need to have a new chip burned? The ODB 1 only monitors and controls fuel and spark, right?
Also...the "donor" truck is a '91 K2500. I'm pulling the whole drive train (less the front axle, already gone). Do any of you know for sure what the transmission is? 700R-4 or 4L80E???
The stock computer can be made to run the 383, no problem. Post 1995 vehicles were OBD2. On the "need to have a new chip burned", there's no such thing as a new chip. Chips are not external to the PCM. You need to flash the computer by someone who knows what he's doing, once you've done all the mods to your engine/transmission. Most performance PCM folks do it in their sleep, but keep in mind that OBD2 computers are harder to flash than OBD1 computers. I've got a 96 motor (a 396 stroker) and an OBD1 in my 95 Impala, with an OBD2 style connector. Have two 'spare' computers with identical burns as the one that is in there, in case the one in there crashes. What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for replying. Since my truck is a '94 doesn't that make it ODB 1, don't they use the PROM chip? How much of the engine and transmission does it control?
I'm just looking to build a reliable engine with tons of low end torque for pulling and the occasional off road excursion and do it without changing everything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, 1994 would be the OBD1. But your programmer either needs access to a 'spare' PCM or your car, whichever easier. 'Round here in eastern North Carolina, I can walk in to a salvage yard and pick up spare PCM's (for GM vehicles) for less than $25. The OBDI controls most everything on the engine and transmission - shift points, spark control (e.g. advance), EGR, transmission line pressure, etc. OBDII added a Crank Position Sensor, dual knock sensors (OBDI had just one on many GM engines). I know a couple of good programmers in Raleigh and one in Clayton. I'm sure there are good ones in Charlotte too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts