GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the title says it all. When I bought the truck, I was pretty sure it worked. When I went to use it for the first time, I turned it on and hit the set button. It pulled the accelerator pedal away from my foot like usual, and never worked again. I checked the fuse in the fuse panel under the dash, and the fuse is fine. This cruise is confusing the living daylights out of me. I can't even find where the actual cruise control motor is to check it out. I'm about out of ideas. While I haven't checked the switches on the stalk, I think they're ok. So, any clues as to what's going on here? Or even where the components of the cruise control live? Thanks as always for the help ya'll always provide

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have accidentally come across the cruise control problem. It's probably the one thing I DIDN'T think it was. Today I went to go hit the turn signal lever to make a turn, and the end of the shaft (at the joint where the windshield wiper part rotates) just went limp. So, now I don't have control of my wipers, and I'm guessing my cruise control went first. So, now to order the whole lever. Does anyone know where I can purchase a whole new steering column with tilt wheel? It's looking like I might as well replace the whole thing since I'm having something like 3 problems that have to do with the steering column. I don't wanna go the junkyard route, I would like to purchase a brand new one if one is available. I can't seem to find one, new or used..

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
The control was my first suggestion as I had the same problem with my cruise not working due to a broken wire in the control/turn signal lever. The knob actually broke off of mine over time and I had to jam a small screwdriver up inside of it to be able to turn my wipers on and off. I bought a replacement lever through GM but have seen several aftermarket replacements for half the $. I need to ask, is another problem with your column play in the steering wheel? Not from the shaft but the bolts inside your column loosen up over time and you have to pull the steering wheel to get to them. It happened on my Blazer mainly because it is lifted so I always grabbed the steering wheel and pulled as I climbed into the truck. It was a bad habit I have since had to break because of not wanting those screws to come loose again down inside of the column.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Go to a local bone yard. It's your best bet.
You can be picky about the one you get, since many of the bone yards are on some network thing now, where they'll call each other to get what you need. (at least around here they are.)

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Go to a local bone yard. It's your best bet.
You can be picky about the one you get, since many of the bone yards are on some network thing now, where they'll call each other to get what you need. (at least around here they are.)
I was going to say same thing earlier, unless you have expendable income? New column is a bit expensive. I don't emagine changing column is an easy job either.

·
Registered
298 Posts
changing out a steering column (assuming same year, make model) is actually really easy... GM did that right for sure, 4 connectors, and 10 bolts, pull out, and put it, its that simple :) so either way, if you decide to take a new column from the bone yard, the make sure you keep all the bolts, and be carful about how you take it out take mention to the placement....

honest... its prety easy.

soul

Reactions: Cableguy

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue on a 92 chevy truck, installed the aftermarket lever along with aftermarket turn signal rotor, all available in the help section of my auto parts store. Less than $30 and it's working great.

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the aftermarket lever you installed in your truck, was it an aftermarket OEM replacement (ie looked the same, operated the same, fit in the same spot perfectly) or something you had to modicfy the column to get it to work right. I'm looking for a bolt-in and it works right type of install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts