GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a die-hard Chevy guy for a long time, and I was weened off a small block Chevy world when I was a wee lad. But, I can't take $4.00 per gallon gasoline.

What does everyone think about the future of Hybrid vehicles? I see Steve's got a Tahoe Hybrid that he's looking at this week. What about this type of new powerplant and what are the real benefits that a user can expect to get?

Bottom line: Is it worth the expense to get a Hybrid vs. just paying for extra gasoline? When is the payoff? What about tax advantages?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the future of hybrids is very strong. It doesn't take much for you to save some cash if we're at 3.5 or more per gallon of gasoline! Not to mention that you're not just seeing a 10% gain, that's like a 30% gain or better ... and it's real-world driving, stop and go, not just open freeway.

It makes it very worth looking at for any vehicle that offers it.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I would have to agree that the future of hybrids is strong. Also, I read in Motor Trend that by 2020 all new vehicles must get 35 MPG or better!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would be willing to bet a new car that Hybrids will be completely off of the market in the next 5-10 years. They are nothing more than a stop gap solution to the gas crisis. The up coming "super diesels" and hydrogen and even full electrics will push hybrids to the wayside in short order.

The legacy costs for hybrids are astounding. If you do decide to get one, I strongly encourage you to get it on a lease, as the parts are considerably more expensive, and the maintenance on these things is still a big question mark. Also, for people that buy cars for "eco" purposes (not you, since you are looking purely at gas mileage), the batteries that Toyota uses are 100 percent non-recyclable. Which means that in a few years, we will have huge stacks of waste batteries that are essentially toxic waste.

If you are looking for mileage, remember this: Buy the smallest vehicle you can live with. If you only need a truck 2-3 times a month, consider getting an older used one, and spending the savings on a smaller car for your daily commute. Yes, I have a 4x4 Suburban tank, but it gets driven about 2 times a month. My daily is a VW GTI that gets 30 MPG, and frankly, is a hell of alot more fun to drive. Also, if you wait a year or so, GM is rolling out their new compact diesel, where we may actually see a full size pickup getting mileage in the 30's, without sacrificing power from the current powertrains.

:great:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts