GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche knows a thing or two about environmental responsibility. Its FlexFuel Vortec 5.3L V8 engine (standard in 4WD models and available in 2WD models) runs on gasoline or E85, a renewable fuel source that helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Plus, with an engine that also features Active Fuel Management™, which allows for the seamless transition from eight cylinders to four cylinders when extra power is not needed, you're in for a more efficient ride.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Gives me a headache to look at that color scheme. :neutral:
Yeah, but it breaks up the over all look. I think that's why I like the cladding, is aside of being functional, it cosmetically breaks up the vehicle, and gives it depth. Something like two tone paint jobs.

although I don't like the two tone on my burb...Maroon, and silver.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Is e85 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline?
Yes

I have been thinking of building my own still, growing sugar beets and changing our present vehicles over since gas went over $2 a gallon.

I really don’t understand why they insist on making it out of corn, when sugar beets makes more ethanol per acre than corn. And it can be grown anywhere in the country.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why Corn?

because the whole entire idea of using ethanol for fuel is nothing but politics.
it has been brought up and abandonned quite a few times here in the country, and always was relevant to 2 factors:
1. huge lobby pressure from corn producing states, where, currently, use of locally produced booz for fuel is enforced in some states, and you can't even buy "pure hydro" anymore.
2. this idea, due to its "low emissions" speel, was always used by politicians, like georgy, to pitch their "concerns about environment". they just don't quite speel on which emissions are good, and which are the bad ones that come out of ethanol as fuel, what it does to engines, how much less power you get out of it (= more refueling and more zoo-zoo to the mighty ones).
as of making a still and your own booz fuel, go to motherearth website, they have down to a screw blueprints of how to make any fuel - ethanol, or biodiesel.
so far, most of bright automotive ideas are coming from japan and europe. see any flexfuel engines coming from that neck of the woods? no. what you see, is stratified fuel injection engines and diesels that run forever, run for up to 90 miles on a gallon, and produce less emissions than E85 engines.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used the 85 in my 2002 Tahoe flex fuel and the gas milage was worse. It is cheaper but it seems like you have to use more of it. SO your spending the same money but i guess your saving the environment.:great:

·
Registered
140 Posts
E85 Fuel

I Believe E85, Even If It Did Work Like They Say It Would, Causes More Problems Than It Cures.
I Remember Hearing Corn Plants Take More From The Soils Than Most Plants And If That's True, It Would Hurt The Farmlands In The Long Run, Corn Is Exported To Other Countries And The Government Would Not Let Us Stop That For Sure. Would Damage The Image Of Our Govt., Like That Hasn't Already Happened, Corn Is Widely Used As Feed And If Used For Fuel, The Cost Of Food Will Rise Just As Fast As Gasoline.
The Main Reason At This Time For The Gas Increases Is Greed. The Oil Barons Want To Fill Their Pockets And Are Not Investing In New Refineries. The Oil Is There But The Refining Abilities Are Not And That's The Way Big Oil Wants It. Supply And Demand. People Also Have To Get Out Of The Old, Not In My Backyard, Mindset. Energy Producing Faculties Have To Be Built Somewheres. Oil Will Run Out Eventually But E85 Is Like A Bandaid On A Failing Dam. We Need New Thinking And New Technology And Need It Soon.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
These are all valid concerns. Extrememly valid! I am aware of the worse MPG, which means that you really need a bigger tank or you have to stop more often.

I think that people are flooding into corn production right now, so the high corn prices should drop off in the next season or two. Well see. Mexico is a mess, they have ethanol down there and it's caused ripples in their economy becuase of it. The average mexican citizen has to pay 2x for tortillas becuase 1/2 the corn is going into fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2006 GMC Z71 and I use E85 from time to time. Due it's federal subsidy, it costs around .50 less than 87 gas. I get roughly 25% worse mileage (15.4 vs. 11.5 in town), so when I do the math it costs me a little money to use E85, not even considering wasted time filling up more often.

Around here, (Austin, TX) it is more of a feel good thing than anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What a load of crap. There's no such thing as "Global warming" the earth just returning to it's natural temp. Gas is so expensive bcuz the tree huggers are makin us mix this stuff into it, they won't let us get at our own sources and won't let anyone build a refinery.
Now everyone and their brother is growing corn to burn in our tanks. My owners manual specifically states not to burn such fuel- probably why i spend so much in repairs- anyone know how to remove this stuff from the gas?
Think gas is expensive- wait till you see how expensive Tequila is going to get :eek:
Enough already. The Hollywood crowd is paniked becuz thier waterfront homes might wash away :great: SO WHAT, warmer weather more time for riding- gee i'll be using my bike more than the truck less GHG and won't have to heat my houses= less ghg. It's all about the incrowd controlling the rest of us. Go take your SUV/Truck for a nice long ride and enjoy it- they're coming for it soon if we let this keep going!

·
Registered
137 Posts
For Those Of You Who Want To

here's link to all the still making from motherearth.
as a note on the side, i have much better mileage with acetone as additive. please, spare me trivia on how harmful it is and etc, i have long term experience and mileage logs and know what i'm saying. i averaged 2.5 to 3 MPG plus on my ranger. about 10% increase on my cr-v.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/google-search.aspx?do=googlesearch&sitesearch=www.motherearthnews.com&domains=www.motherearthnews.com&q=ethanol fuel&client=pub-7979199038709626&forid=1&channel=8376782865&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&flav=0001&sig=yu5zOh57jjn9oUHT&cof=GALT:#008000;GL:1;DIV:#336699;VLC:663399;AH:center;BGC:FFFFFF;LBGC:FFFFFF;ALC:0000FF;LC:0000FF;T:000000;GFNT:0000FF;GIMP:0000FF;LH:50;LW:389;L:http://www.motherearthnews.com/graphics/cleanx50.gif;S:http://www.motherearthnews.com;FORID:11&h1&sa=Search

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seafoam

My owners manual specifically states not to burn such fuel- probably why i spend so much in repairs- anyone know how to remove this stuff from the gas?
!
seafoam several times. it's great additive.
also, ethanol, being solvent, removes oil from metal where it's touching it. ask anyone who runs dragsters, they use methanol/water mix, they know.
also, by the law, gas stations must place a warning sticker on a dispenser if they dispense gasohol. find it! 76 does it, shell does it, am/pm does it. so far, only texaco and chevron are not gasoholled. it varies from a state to a state, in some corn states folks go to canada to get "pure hydro".

·
Registered
4 Posts
reply to flex fuel E85

I'm not a big fan of E85 (or hybrid gas electric):

E85 uses more fuel per mile driven
E85 while renewable - there's not enough farm land to support corn based fuels and actually provide FOOD
Once large companies like ADM can get more per acre when selling to support fuel, it will cause food prices to raise.
Electric only shifts the polllotion source.

improving fuel economy is the only way to go (without a completley new unknown energy source).

diesel is the best answer and the US needs to start using diesel engines in ALL of their cars as options) not just in huge superduty dualie pickups.

GM already makes a line of cars called Vauxhall and has a diesel SUV on the SATURN VUE platform called the Antara that gets 41-mpg.

Other foreign companies like Peugot make all of their cars with diesel options. They have a small car (the 107 Sport XS) which is somehting like a Mini Cooper that gets 68-mpg on diesel. They also make all of their sedans and sport covertibles also with turbo diesel options.

E85 Ethanaol is just the new BIG BUSINESS energy conglomerate.

American consumers MUST demand to the US automakers to improve the fuel economy or else they will lose sales.

Foreign automakers are way ahead of the game.

I don't "want" to buy anything but GM, I beleive we should support US industries and I've owned numerous Chevy and Saturn vehicles.

I've written to GM and told them that when I purchase my next vehicle it will be from whomever has a mid-size SUV with a fuel efficient diesel. The new Acadia/Outlook would have been a great place to start with a 5-cylinder turbo diesel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dead on
who's profiting?
why is it so advertised?
why are we not following suit with EU diesels which have been around for years and get great gas mileage?

E85 is politics and BIG BUSINESS
it's not the answer - short or long term
diesle may not be the best long term answer either but it's ready now and can quickly change 20 mpg cars to 40+ or higher
right now
the tech is available
the engines are made
the cars exisit
we just can't buy them - except a few VW's

·
Registered
11 Posts
30% E85 and the rest gasoline.

Hi!

I have tried 30% E85 and the rest 98 octane gas in my Trailblazer 2002.
I have no problem with that mixture.
Ethanol is a octane booster and it prevents spiking.
But it is still based on carbon so it is no difference in greenhousegas emission, but it is less on other health risky emissions.

Carbondioxide is a greenhousegas, but we do breath it, so it's not dangerous for humans, but it's bad for the environment with too much, which gives an unbalance and makes nature to overgrow. On old cars, before 1988 or 1996, take your pick, the health risky emissions are really bad. (1988 came most cars with catalyst, and 1996 OBD1 for emission control).

What is really interesting is hydrogen that gives only water as emission. Have anyone tried to convert to hydrogen or has heard of it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts