GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, actually good morning would be more appropriate. Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Jeremy and I look forward to asking a lot of questions on this site!!! lol. Don't worry not all of them will be stupid!! I recently purchased, as in Friday the 13th, a 2004 2500HD Silverado ext cab 4x4 with the 6.0 gas (couldnt afford a diesel). I am using this for work, co-own a landscape company, snow-plowing to be exact. I'm in a suburb of Buffalo, NY so we get plenty of snow. I was wondering if there are any other members using a similar vehicle for this sort of work? Any experiences they can share will be greatly appreciated. BTW I am undecided on a plow yet Boss v. Western. Again if someone has used one or the other or better yet both and they care to share, I am more than willing to listen. Thanks again and I look forward to your responses.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
First

Welcome Aboard.

Can’t say we haven’t had stupid questions before, so ask away. We all have our own areas of expertise. Try to help when we can and find answers to any questions.

Can’t say anything about the newer trucks, sorry. I’m more of the older trucks help kind of guy.

Plows, well my plow is an older Fisher on a 79 GMC pickup. Up here in Maine they are real popular, and we also get a lot of snow as well. So don’t forget them when you look.

Again welcome aboard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you 84Fiero, for the welcome and the info on the plow. The dealership I purchased my truck from deals Fisher as well, maybe I should get some info on them as well.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
thank you 84Fiero, for the welcome and the info on the plow. The dealership I purchased my truck from deals Fisher as well, maybe I should get some info on them as well.
Get info on as many as you can, find what the local guys use and ask them what they think of what they are using.

I know now they have many different types of ploy systems that weren’t available back when the beast was built.

Electric over hydraulics is popular now. Don’t know much about them but they are popular.

Just remember no matter what type you buy, eventually they will brake and you need to be able to get parts and service. So make sure you have good help in that direction.

Mine is older than god I think, hell the truck is full time 4 wheel drive, no 2 wheel drive at all and only a yard truck now. More rust than body panels I think. But the beast took out 4’ of snow one morning without skipping a beat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see a lot of Boss mounts on trucks around here. The prices I got on the 2 were within $85 of each other, the Boss retailer is a little closer to my house so as far as service is concerned the Boss is the more logical choice. I have a couple more months (hopefully) before I need to be real concerned about it, but I want to start doing my research now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I dont know much about snow plow issues as I live in the Phoenix area (Arizona). I dont think even the dictionarys here have "snow" in them LOL. I do own a '03 Chevy 2500HD extra cab 4dr 4wd though (8.1L 496ci w/ Allison auto). It's been a great truck and I think it will fill yer needs just fine. My wife and I use it to haul our toys. Combined load with travel trailer and quads is around 9500Lbs. Welcome to the club !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know much about snow plow issues as I live in the Phoenix area (Arizona). I dont think even the dictionarys here have "snow" in them LOL.
:lol:

you lucky son of a gun!!! It is hot there though!! At least the snow provides a little relief!! Of course so does a pool.

Thank you Grynder for the welcome as well.

My dad and I were looking for trucks at the same time and he looked at a 3/4 ton Sierra with the big block, but we figured for his application, daily driver and tow an open trailer with the race car approx 4500lbs total, that the 6.0 would be adequate. We just went to Pittsbugh PA and we averaged about 13mpg. And yes I too think this truck will do the trick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome Jeremy, post up some pictures of your rig, and the race car. I am sure everyone would like to see em! Have a seat, kick back, we're pretty relaxed around here...all this talk of workin' and plowin's got me tuckered, goin back for more coffee! Kerry.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Buffalo-Snow-RIGHT BUSINESS!!

Welcome-Jeremy. I'm a very new member also-2 weeks ago I bought a 200,000 miles 1998 Suburban (2wd).I live near New Orleans(lived in Penn. when I was young),so I know ZIP about snowplowing.
However in the 1930's-40's my dad lived in Buffalo.He was accustomed to snow(born in Philidelphia), but according to him,Buffalo gave a whole new meaning to snowstorm!!He claimed drifts could be 8-10 feet deep after a snowfall???? He wasn't much on exaggeration...., but I always kinda' wondered about that 10 foot drift??!! Guess that is why he eventually moved us to Louisiana!!
Guess you are in the right business in Buffalo!! Later on Dad moved to Denver-said it had sissy snow storms in comparison to Buffalo!!

Welcome,
Charlie
PS It has rained for 4 weeks straight here!! I'm getting "rain" cabin fever.Glad there is a race today;I can watch J Gordon,JJ, and Mears pound that whiner Jack Roush into the asphalt.Give me something to do other than to watch the yard turn to muck while thunder shakes the shingles off my roof!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, yeah no more talk of work :lol:

Kerry, I'll throw some pics up in a couple days. Thanks for the interest.

Yeah Charlie, snow storms around here can be pretty bruttal. I'm 31 so I was just in diapers when the Blizzard of 77 occured but my dad has told me stories. My grandpa has some pics from a storm where the drifts were almost to the power lines. We had a doozey in 01 or 02 around Thanksgiving and there were 7' drifts along the roads. So yeah I guess plowing snow is a good business to be in. I guess!! :sarcastic:

Talk to you later guys.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Welcome Jeremy, Go with the Western. Advice from Canada LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Advice from Canada LOL
Well if anyone knows more about snow than a western NY'er, its a Canadian!! LOL

Seriously Jamie, thanks. Have you used a Western before? Just curious, there are features of both that I like. The main thing with the Western is the chain lift, so if something does go, hydraulics, I can at least lift the plow and take it somewhere. I have a guy who owns a hydraulic repair shop and they do service calls, but the last thing I want is to be stuck in the middle of the night w/ out my plow working.

Thanks again Jamie and I hope I didnt offend you with the Canadian ref. We race with a bunch of guys from Canada, as a matter of fact my dad is heading up to Grand Bend this weekend and going with our friends from up there. BTW where abouts are you located?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Actually you guys got more snow than we did up here this past winter. I've tried the western years ago, they seem to hold up better under abuse. Your right about the hydaulics failure too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts