1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
697 Posts
Very cool to see GM get into turbo game for trucks. Looks very interesting with a ton of innovation. Hopefully they are built to last

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
EVERYONE has an I 4 turbo in Everything these days due to EPA mandates. I’m not a fan, and regularly humiliate these vehicles on my commute with my non turbo I6. This leads me to believe the published HP/torque numbers are pure fiction. Some of these still can’t accelerate up a hill. I said never again to that a long time ago.

For me, I want more than 4, and I don’t want an engine that the government told me I had to have so they feel warm and fuzzy about the environment. Plus a four cylinder in a truck is as un-American IMHO as a ford ecoboost.

Reactions: Collin02

·
Registered
697 Posts
Turbo go fast therefore are very American.
Engines are air pumps, the more air you can move the more power will be made. And a pound of is is a pound of air wether you got it from 2 extra cylinders or by feeding it some boost. It would be better to see GM develop a v6 turbo to really compete with the ecoboost. Technology has also gotten us pretty much over the hump as far as turbo lag is concerned, and I challenge you to run your v6 against an ecoboost F150 this will give you an education in current turbo power

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s inevitable, the 5.3l will have to be replaced with a new V6 turbo. AFM and DFM can do so much and EPA mandates will push the issue, perhaps before going to an all aluminum body to lose more weight. A real trick would be to incorporate DFM with a Turbo.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Turbo go fast therefore are very American.
Engines are air pumps, the more air you can move the more power will be made. And a pound of is is a pound of air wether you got it from 2 extra cylinders or by feeding it some boost. It would be better to see GM develop a v6 turbo to really compete with the ecoboost. Technology has also gotten us pretty much over the hump as far as turbo lag is concerned, and I challenge you to run your v6 against an ecoboost F150 this will give you an education in current turbo power
@RoofHopper i don’t think a turbo is unamerican, I think forcing free people to buy a 4 cylinder turbo or 6 cylinder turbo when they want & need a v8 is unamerican. What is this freedom we fought for if we don’t have the freedom to chose our engines? Some of my favorite vehicles now only have a 2.0T unless I pay an exorbitant amount more $, so that is my main point, otherwise I agree with you. Personally, I’d rather get a V8 in my truck, but if that v8 has to be a turbo I guess I’ll just have to make the best of it. :p

Reactions: RoofHopper

·
Registered
697 Posts
V8s will never die out, in these days of LT4s, coyoties, hemis and even toyota and nissan having string V8s we will only see them get more powerful and efficient

Reactions: Beachbourbon

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ya I thought so too RoofHopper but FCA just stopped production of the 5.7 Hemi in 2019... (crying a little inside). They will continue manufacturing just the engines for "bench stock" replacement purposes. The only 2 options that they plan for 2020 (at least in Jeep GCs, no word yet on Rams) is the 3.6 v6 or 3.0 TD. Otherwise you have to go up to the SRTs for a 6.4 Hemi. There's no doubt that decision was prompted by CAFE standards. FCA has put 5.7 Hemis in EVERYTHING for almost 2 decades.

https://www.topspeed.com/trucks/tru...he-57-liter-hemi-rumors-say-yes-ar175940.html

http://fcauthority.com/2017/02/5-7l-hemi-v8-going-out-of-production-in-2018-report-indicates/

But to the article, I'm glad GM is testing the waters. I also agree with you that it should have been a v6 to compete with the EB and Ram EcoDiesel (yes I know one is a gasser and the other is a diesel).

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I'm with @Cowpie on this one.
I've never owned a vehicle with a turbo, never driven one either, that I recall; but I have owned a supercharged V6.
An Olds 98 Touring Sedan, Buick (by this time it was a GM corporate) 3.8
It may have been the best vehicle I ever drove, not the most powerful, just the best all round road machine.
A quiet and calm road hugger until you shoved your right foot down, it would bark a tire at 30mph.
I'm not a fan of an I4, turbo, or not, in a big truck; but add 2 more cylinders and a blower and we could be happy.
If you need torque, you can always go coal.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That I4 turbo might be good in a Colorado...epa/government has ruined trucks. Anybody ever owned a gm that didn’t have some kind of electrical gremlins? We already see the issues with the electric steering pump, who the hell is gonna trust a truck with an electric water pump as well!?

I’m really not a fan at all of the direction any of the manufacturers have gone with pickups. Still kick myself for not just sticking a new motor in my 2000.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My thoughts do not matter and I will never buy another new truck. For me if it is not a big block, then I am out. But I have heard the fuel mileage is terrible on the new I4 Turbo. My buddy has a 2017 Ford with the 2.7 ecoboost. And his fuel mileage is about the same as the wife's 1993 full size blazer.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My thoughts do not matter and I will never buy another new truck. For me if it is not a big block, then I am out. But I have heard the fuel mileage is terrible on the new I4 Turbo. My buddy has a 2017 Ford with the 2.7 ecoboost. And his fuel mileage is about the same as the wife's 1993 full size blazer.
I can’t imagine a world without big blocks and internal combustion. And I’ll only accept a change when it is market and performance driven instead of shoved down our throats by government. Any idiot knows it takes coal to make electricity unless you’re able to do hydroelectric or nuclear. So why the rush to electric vehicles and more coal use? Heck, the power grid here is already so overtaxed the it causes devastating wildfires. What will we do when w3 have blackouts and no one can charge their cars?

Reactions: Cowboytrukr

·
Registered
‘01 Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison 5sp xcab long bed
3,880 Posts
I remember when the Governator said “we don’t want dirty power.”

My response to that was fine, we’ll run it through some cheesecloth and sent it to you! At the time I was working at a power company that was in the transmission route to California. He could say he didn’t want coal generated electricity, but the truth is, the CA grid demand can’t be supported by renewables alone.

Remember when Grayout Davis was in charge? Who wants to go through rolling blackouts or brown outs when the power company lovers the operating voltage a couple of volts?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
A little update on this old post, btw, all good points stated from other posts. The 2022 Tundra is dropping the V8, a Turbo V6. At least in the Light duty trucks, the V8's will be going out In the future.

I cannot find the article but for the 2023 Canyon/Colorado redesign, the I4 2.7L Turbo L3B was retuned to over 400 ft lbs of torque. The HP was also bumped up, if I recall around 350 hp. This may be the standard engine for 2023. For the 1500 trucks the 2022 refresh, here is the article That lists the specs for the retuned L3B. 2.7L Turbo Engine Now Standard On These 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 Trim Levels

Don't believe everything Scotty says about I4 turbos. This engine was designed from the ground up for truck use.

From Here’s Another Look At The 2022 Toyota Tundra
As for the specs under the skin, the 2022 Toyota Tundra is expected to come equipped with a new twin-turbocharged V6 engine producing more than 400 horsepower, while it’s possible the new Tundra could be offered with a new hybrid powerplant, as well as even an all-electric variant. In back, the latest Tundra will feature a new redesigned suspension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts