GM Truck Club Forum banner

Throttle body spacer?

6K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  kennythewelder 
#1 ·
Does it make a big difference in performance and gas mileage ? I have the k&n filtercharger and headman shortys with highflow cat from magnaflow. I had a jet performance modulator but I ended up taking it out a few years ago.

#2 ·
I Don't know anyone that has installed one and seen any performance or mpg gains. Sometimes they make a "cool" hissing sound that guys like but that is about all you will get from it. Read the first post in this thread. I am pretty sure that the same principles apply for a spacer. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/what-do-cold-air-intakes-really-do.146280/

I found this searching the web. It is on the Internet so it must be true.. Just kidding

Before you run out and drop a C note for a gas saving, performance increasing, throttle body spacer for your rig, ask yourself a couple questions:

Does my truck have fuel injection?

Does a chunk of metal really need to cost $100?

Is the word "SUCKER" tattooed on my forehead?

If our third bullet point is true, then read no further because we have a gas saving, performance increasing modification for you.

With the cost of fuel these days, manufacturers are all looking for a way to capitalize on the American public but don't believe all the whoopla. Throttle body spacers, in theory, should work on a carbureted vehicle with minimal ducting and virtually no computerized control, but last time I checked, all of the late model trucks rolling off the assembly line are fuel injected unless its a Suzuki Sidekick, which probably sports a two cycle motor.

The Theory
The throttle body spacer is based on the theory that air entering a chamber will have a greater velocity and more mass if it spun. The helical groves on the throttle body spacer are designed to make the air start spinning as it passes through the grooves, thus delivering a greater volume of air to the ic engines cylinder and in turn, increasing the power of the detonation by adding more air to the fuel/air mixture. Additionally on older model vehicle with throttle body injection, the swirling air mixes the air and fuel much better, providing a more consistent spark and hotter detonation. More Air & stronger detonation = more Power. In addition to the increased power claims there is the claim that you will also experiance gains in fuel ecconomy as less fuel is required to make more power, meaning you will be able to save gas (up to 10% if you believe some of the manufacturers) if you don't alter your driving habits.

The Reality
Late model fuel injected cars and trucks have their fuel and air mixed just prior to being injected into the combustion chamber, meaning all the swirling going on in the intake manifold isn't happening with the fuel, so the "mixing" of the air and fuel doesn't happen. Older, carburated vehicles and ones with throttle body injection (older than a '95) can benefit from this swirling motion, however your brand new port injected Chevy Siverado isn't going to benefit at all from this action other than making a weird high pitch noise from under the hood that some kid might mistake for a turbo.

The Facts
We equipped a 2001 Ford Super Duty V-10 with an aftermarket throttle body spacer made by one of the name brand manufacturers out there. Prior to this test the truck had been modified with a cold air intake system and full 3.5" exhaust system from the headers back. When getting a baseline dyno, the best pull rendered 283.4 hp and 361.4 lb-ft torque (corrected for 93°F) at the rear wheels. After the addition of the throttle body spacer, the best we could pull 281.1 hp and 354.7 lb-ft torque. Now, we will concede that the engine was getting hotter and so was the day by the time we had the throttle body spacer installed (approx. 20 mins later) but according to the manufacturer we should have had an "noticeable increase in power" which is contrary to the reports generated by the Dynojet.

Summary
Purchase Price: $96.00
Horsepower Gain: -2.3
Torque Gain: -6.7 lb-ft
Minutes Installed: 32

#3 ·
Thanks for the info man . Iv never heard about this before . I still like my k&n tho and how its washable and rechargeable . I feel like it makes a little difference in power and fuel economy . But that's just my opinion . And I like the way it sounds lol plus it looks cooler than the stock setup I think. In prob not gonna do any more to the engine cause I'm happy with it rite now and it gets me to were I gotta go . I'v done a lot of work in my truck and I hope it will last me a long time. If something breaks chances are I can fix it myself . I dont trust mechanics lol and since it's a GM i can actually work on it unlike most new vehicles today. I don't have to remove my bumper to remove a battery or take apart my engine to gain access to the spark plugs lol car companies do that on new vehicles so you have to take it to the dealer or a shop. That's why I love my 98 gmc. I know 9 times out of 10 I can do a repair on my own. Already I'v done 2 fuel pumps 2 water pumps 2 alternators multiple caps and rotors . Ignition switch rear wheel cylinders , inside door handles, plugs and wires of course , thermostats ,Alot of break pads , just put new calipers and rotors last time. And a new heater hose with the quick disconnect . The upper intake gaskets went like 4 years ago and I had to have a shop do that one unfortunately . Also my tranny was rebuilt recently at 200 k wich cost a arm and a leg. and I'm sure I'm missing more I'v done all the work myself except for the head gaskets and the tranny rebuild . . And for bolt on parts I'v got the k&n filter charger headman headers magnaflow performance exhaust with a high flow cat. Ok it's not true duel but I needed some back pressure and it sounds awesome ! I'v got a lot if memories and work into this truck and I hope it runns well over 300 k . I always keep up on the oil every 3 to 5 k so fingers crossed . I don't have the money to get a new or used truck so I need the one I have to last as long as possible!

#4 ·
It sounds like you take care of your truck. If you are looking for a horsepower gain look into a set of underdrive pulleys. I ran a set on my 95. I never had any issues with charging or overheating. They say that a set nets around 12 hp depending on the vehicle. One note: I did not have an after market audio system, if you do under drives may not be for you. I did get dimming of the lights at idle but as soon as you gave it some gas it was fine

#5 ·
Holy Crap Pikey, Underdrive pully's something i have never heard of, bolt on? More HP? Gotta google it!

#6 ·
Yea they come in different sets. You can get them with 2 or 3 pulleys. You just take the old pulleys off and install the new pulleys and new belt. They change the crank, alternator, and sometimes water pump pulleys. Took me all of 10 minutes to install with my impact gun

#7 ·
I helped put them on my buddys truck a few years ago. They are good as long as your not running high demand electronics. He decided to put an amp and subs in his truck and we had to switch it back to the original pulleys.

#8 ·
That's cool I'v seen those things in a summit magazine . But now that I'v got over 200 k on the engine I don't think it would be wise to start putting more strain on it now . years ago when I first got it it had 66 k on it back in 05 I believe , and it was a beast !! It only. A 305 5.0L but after the k&n ,headers , high flow exhaust and jet chip it was pretty bad as . It's a single cab short bed so its pretty light lol but I'v grown up a lot in ten years and I don't ride the **** out of her any more lmao the next big project I wanna do is upgrade my spider to the improved MPFI. Has any of you guys out there done this? Or is it better to stick with the oem spider set?

#10 ·
That's cool I'v seen those things in a summit magazine . But now that I'v got over 200 k on the engine I don't think it would be wise to start putting more strain on it now .
They don't add strain. They make it easier for the motor to spin accessory items. It is like switching to the smallest front sprocket on a mountain bike. Easier to turn

#9 ·
I know the ones I have gotta be shot after 200k when I took if my throttle body I cold see soo much carbon built up down in the intake manifold plenum . I'v never had the guts the tackle that job and remove it . Theirs a lot of **** to disconnect . I'v watched YouTube videos on it looks like a big job! And I don't have a garage u gotta do my work in the road lol

#17 ·
Don't know why I never thought of pulley = HP I used to change out front sprocket on my sporster depending on what I was doing that weekend. Smaller for holeshots. larger for cruze with the bigger bikes so I wasn't cooking my motor. I guess I was only looking at direct hook up to the power trane. Duh!

#19 ·
Most times I figure stuff like this is just smoke and mirrors!

Have you tried the lower pullie route Kenny? Pikey and others have said it's good for about a ten hp increase.
I Understand it and think a hundred or so bucks is a darn good dollar spent. Can't think of a mod for the Money that can claim that and actually put the rubber to the road can you? I spent a good amount more for a B.B. Tune and well all have their own opinions on tunes.
I Guess I prefer J J Cale LOL! I suppose if you had more engine mods than i might be more apparent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.