GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I recently bought a CAI for my 1995 Suburban.

I have been thinking about a throttle body spacer but I am a bit worried that it will make the CAI sit too high (it is supposed to be 1-1.5 inches thick so the throttle body will be that much higher) and that is might stress the Throttle Body itself or the CAI housing to route it to the end point, which is a box bolted to the fenderwell.

Has anyone here used a TBI spacer with a CAI on a Full size truck or Suburban?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You'll have no such problem, brother. Don't worry about that. Hurry up and bolt it on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
:lol:If the fridge door was left open....then you can blame me. You'll be fine.:great:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I just bought an '01 Silverado from my work (Strathmore Motor Products). I'm putting on the GM preformance exhaust, but would like to make a few engine mods as well. The TBI spacer is one that I was looking at.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let us know how it goes. I just bought an '01 Silverado from my work (Strathmore Motor Products). I'm putting on the GM preformance exhaust, but would like to make a few engine mods as well. The TBI spacer is one that I was looking at.
Actually it went well. Part throttle respsonse is improved by quite a bit.

I am told that true fuel injection engine like what you have in your '01 do not see the same benefits though. You start off with a lot more power though.

My wife has an '01 with the 5.3L and the 5.7 in my 1995 still isn't in the same class. It has improved noticeably but the '01 is still the more powerful package. Maybe towing a trailer the 5.7L would have more torque but I don't have anything to tow right now so I don't know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chev2.....

Did you have any problems with the fuel line connections on the 95? My 95 seems to have a very short travel distance with respect to the back of the block and the TBI inputs?

Thanks for advise

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a fastener that has to be removed from the back of the block that attaches the fuel lines to the engine. You take that off and you have enough leeway to move everything. Taking that fastener off the back of the block was the longest step of installing the TBI spacer without a doubt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for that update......

I see what you mentioned to and yes that would in fact leave some play room for the adjustment of the fuel lines.....

Thanks I think I will "bolt one up"..

·
Registered
126 Posts
The most important thing to check and adjust after installing the spacer is the trans kickdown cable. I have one in my '88, and I've had no clearance problems.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm sure it helped some, but would you personally recommend a throttle spacer to someone? Was the total price reasonable enough to make a performance increase, or is it "just nice to have"?

And whats the cost?
Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure it helped some, but would you personally recommend a throttle spacer to someone? Was the total price reasonable enough to make a performance increase, or is it "just nice to have"?

And whats the cost?
Thanks.
It made it quite a bit nicer to drive around. Especially in normal part-throttle situations I have to use less pedal to accelerate at the same speed. To be honest, it made more of a difference than the power chip did. The best thing about the chip was that it changed the shift points around so it probably made the power tower work better.

I bought a Helix Power Tower II. They are about $69.99 at JCWhitney.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...005658/N-111+1995+200728473+600002049/c-10101

1 - 14 of 14 Posts