Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Tonight as I was backing my Suburban into its parking space, I noticed a ticking noise, seemingly coming from the wheels.

It does not make this noise going forward - I've only heard it in reverse.

Its a 1993 with the 350 and auto tranny (four-speed) with about 70,000 miles on the clock.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RE: Ticking noise

70,000 on a 1993, that's pretty low for a 14 year old vehicle.

Stock wheels, etc? How's your steering, any play in the wheel or vibration when going down the road?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

From what I'm guessing, the ticking is more frequent that one tick per tire rotation.

Can you elaborate on the ticking? Where the wheels turned when you heard the ticking, or straight.

Is that 4wd, or 2wd?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The ticking is actually about once per tire rotation, and happens on at least the two left wheels, and probably the right wheels as well, although I couldn't be sure.

Wheels were straight, and it's a 2WD model. It has stock wheels and no play in the steering wheel. No vibrations going down the road - rides very smoothly. However, I've noticed that recently it does seem to pull to the right somewhat when under braking, and I just had the brakes and rotors done about a month ago.

I know there was a recall on the ABS brakes (which mine has) but I don't know if it was ever addressed. I have it registered on mygmlink.com and it says that a recall has been issued (as opposed to the usual message that "there are no open recalls on your vehicle at this time") so I'm thinking it probably wasn't addressed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kevin

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

Sorry, can't think of anything right now.

Another question is that 4 wheel ABS, or Rear wheel ABS?

You should have someone stand outside the vehicle, while you back in. Have them isolate the location of the noise.

·
Registered
52 Posts

if you have a floor jack and some tools, try and put it up in the air and spin the wheel, see if you can pin point the exact location. you might also want to remove the wheel and inspect back there and inside the drums.

my guess would be that it might be a brake related, since going forward does not duplicate the tick.
and when you go back or forward the pads or shoes moves one way or the other, so going in reverse the pads or shoes are moving enought to touch something spinning that creates a tick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: RE: Ticking noise

TrailLeadr said:
Sorry, can't think of anything right now.

Another question is that 4 wheel ABS, or Rear wheel ABS?

You should have someone stand outside the vehicle, while you back in. Have them isolate the location of the noise.
It's 4 wheel ABS.

I'm thinking it is brake related. I'm going to call my local dealer and see if they can verify whether or not the recall has been performed. If I have to take it in for recall, I'll just have them look at things while its in there.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.